free website stats program gas tank epoxy | Harley Davidson Forums

gas tank epoxy

astrorock

hay guys, i have a problem.. i took my tins off to get a custom paint job done and i found that the epoxy lining in the tank has started peeling off.. it's only peeling on the left tank.. does the kreem stuff work, and do i need to have the liner in there it it doesn't leak???

If the coating inside the tank is starting to break down then the little flakes that come off can block the fuel strainer in the tank and the smaller parts can block the jets in the carb
having done a few fuel tanks over the years this is what ive used and it seems to hold up well if tthe instructions are followed

Tank Liner Repair Kit - Harley Davidson Community

That link takes you to a uk supplier of the product but it should be available in most countries
one of the links is broke so try this one
Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit(S215) - Tanks - Frost Auto Restoration Techniques

Brian

Last edited:
Did you already have the paint work done?Fin has you covered with the product/instructions.Basicaly you need to pickle your tank with the metal cleaner which is basicaly acetone.Acetone eats everything especialy fresh paint.

Did you already have the paint work done?Fin has you covered with the product/instructions.Basicaly you need to pickle your tank with the metal cleaner which is basicaly acetone.Acetone eats everything especialy fresh paint.

Ive done it on both painted and un painted tanks i prefer to do it prior to painting but once got a tank that was very well painted but the liner was shot so i took a lot of extra care not to allow anything to get onto the outside of the tank
i stretched some old inner tube over the petcock mount and secured it with a zip tie to seal it and used a rubber bung for the two petrol cap holes

Brian

thanks for the advice guys, my friend who has done thousands of bikes says almost all harley tanks do that and people never even know that it is peeling because they never take the tanks off.. he says just vacuum the pieces out and be on your way.. he also says any pieces small enough to make it through the strainer will pass easily through any carb jets..

Back