free website stats program Gas tank change | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank change

oseita

:DI recently converted my 04 Sporty from 883 to 1200. The original tank is still on the bike but it is only 3.3 gallons. Would it be better to upgrade to the 4.5 gallon as found on the 1200's or try to modify one from another model of Harley? I would appreciate any input or even links where maybe I could find aftermarket tanks.

:DI recently converted my 04 Sporty from 883 to 1200. The original tank is still on the bike but it is only 3.3 gallons. Would it be better to upgrade to the 4.5 gallon as found on the 1200's or try to modify one from another model of Harley? I would appreciate any input or even links where maybe I could find aftermarket tanks.

You could check Denis Kirk, or J P for a larger bob style tank:D

There there are a lot of different tanks available out in the big world do a bit of searching of the internet and have a look at custom chrome and zodiac and even hd may produce other alternatives

Brian

i would not advise to make modifications of tank.. if not done by one who does modifications on tanks on daily basis you can get in trouble with fittings... even if it will match on first sight... in couple of weeks a fuel leak can get out due to vibration if your modifier will not pay attention on some specific places in bottom... especialy if tank is old (can be rusty from inside). So definatly look for new one!

Easy deal, as the mounting holes and fuel tank mounting horn (for the seat tab) is already set up for 2005-2006 4.5 gal tank and replacement seat of whatever suits your comfort zone in that neither region for you and yours (if two-up). That is what the setup on my 2004 Sporty...no changes to anything, just transfer the stuff over, also a good opportunity to inspect all wiring and cleanup the "tunnel". How cool is that?

Paughco sells a 4.5 that will utilize stock mount locations. Give them a call and they will hook you up. That or I put a 3.9 on that uses stock location mounts, is rubber mounted, and uses same petcock size and is vented. Your choice.

Thanks! I did check with Paughco and they offer just what I need. It has a 5 gallon capacity and will not require any mods as it is designed for the Sportster. The only change is that their tank is a bit fatter and taller. They call it the "Fat-Bob" tank. The price isn't too bad either but is worth saving for.

this is some good info thanks in time i would like to get a bigger tank to make trips go a little longer before fill ups

I have been considering doing the tank swap from the stock peanut tank to a 4.2 or 4.5 gal. I have heard some horror stories about bars hitting afterward.

Back