free website stats program Garage Door Opener for 08 Road King Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Garage Door Opener for 08 Road King Classic

glaze1

Electrical assitance needed:
I purchased a garage door opener for my 08 RKC. I have 4 wires coming from the reciever that I mounted on the frame of the bike as instructed (yellow, white, black, & orange/white).
No problem so far....
The instructions indicate that I need to cut the (yellow, white, black, and the orange/white - which was not currently being used) coming from the head lamp.
I understand this part also....
The problem comes in as the instructions indicate the wires need to be butt slice connections ( which are provided ).
My question for the electrical guru's is this - when I cut a wire coming from the head lamp - let's say the white wire, I now have 2 ends of the white wire striped and ready for butt slicing. However, I also have the black wire from the reciever (making 3 wires going into a butt slice connector made for 2 wires)?

I am sure someone out there can enlighten me on how I need to proceed.

thanks
electrically challanged

The instructions indicate that I need to cut the (yellow, white, black, and the orange/white - which was not currently being used) coming from the head lamp.

If they are not currently being used are they just "dead end" into a socket of some type.?? Don't understand when you say not currently being used. It makes you think you only have 4 individual wires that have 1 end. (?)

Are you actually "Tapping into" 4 separate wires?

the garage door opener works by turning the low beam to high beam. The orange/white wire coming from the exisiting head lamp wiring harness was put there for future accessory installation - hence the garage door opener.

So you are actually tapping into 4 individual wires.

I would then say they want you to cut a wire (lets say the black one), then twist those 2 wires together and put them both into 1 side of the butt connector. Then the remaining side of the butt connector will go to the black wire of the door opener module.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Sounds like Hoop has you covered, I am just curious who is the maker and are you sure there are NO instructional diagrams (if the instructions appear to be not looking like factory materials). If you have the model # and manufacturer, contact them directly or via the Internet for customer service/sales for additional information. They may even have "updates" as it sounds like you are missing the fundamental details they should have provided you. JMHO

ya Hoople is right, the only thing i dont really care for in those kits is the connecters....if you have access to solder, heat shrink and a soldering iron (all things you can get at the hardware store for pretty inexpensive) i would go that route. those connecters work ok for a little while but they are prone to getting moister inside of them and since they have a metalic liner inside they start to corrode after a while. either way will work, that just my personal preference. Good Luck.

Back