free website stats program FXRG Middleweight jacket 2010 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXRG Middleweight jacket 2010

rcwheelman

I got the bike. Now I need a riding jacket. I've been wearing the same leather now for 20 + years. I think it's time to upgrade. I was looking into the FXRG line. I've researched the jacket on the net. So far, I've only come across good reviews. Mostly though on older versions. 05,06,07 styles. Only complaint I saw people specificly was the price. I was just wondering if any of you guys have one and have any thoughts on the jacket. Good or bad. I tried one on in the dealer and I'm thinking even with the liner out and the vents open, on a 85 - 90 degree day; The jacket may be a bit much.

Thanks. & Happy New Year
WAP.gif

I have the 08 version. I really like it in both hot and cold conditions. There was a time last summer that I had to go through downtown St. Paul during rush hour and it was 92*. I had both my FXRG jacket and my chaps on and stayed relatively comfortable. I also took off for a ride this fall when it was 27* and with the liner and a sweatshirt, I was good. It is extremely pricey though. You can also look at Fox Creek leather. I have heard nothing but good about their products as well.

Sad to say it but the HD leather sold now is China junk at good stuff prices.

Smitty,

While I agree with you for the most part, I feel that the FXRG leather that I have is a quality product. I am ceratinly not saying that there isn't comparable or better products out there for the same or less money but I am quite happy with my purchase.

We are in a global market weather we believe it or not. Take Caterpillar for instance (knowing you are a Cat supporter :D And thanks by the way), all of the excavators are now assembled in one of three places. The United States, Belgium or Japan, based upon global demand. The place of assembly does not take away from the quality of the product as long as the specs are maintained.

I ceratinly try to support US companies and workers but it's not possible to do that all of the time.

Look at the computers we are all using to share our thoughts and ideas here on this great site.

Just my $.02 worth. Have a great and safe new year!

This may be blasphemy on a Harley website but here goes - if you're not already 100% decided that it's leather or nothing, there are many companies making textile jackets or even jacket/pants combos that are suitable for a wide range of temperatures and even waterproof. Most have armor in the elbows/shoulders and overall offer the same protection as quality leather at a much lower cost. I know many feel that textile outerwear and full face helmets have no place in the HD world since they don't project the "proper" image but for protection, function, and cost, they should be given serious consideration.

I own the '09 model. I think it is a very good quality product for the requirements (riding a motorcycle at high speeds) my only complaint is that the waterproof liner is built in and it is the innermost layer.
This arrangement is simply not practical for warm (let alone hot) weather. I own a mesh riding jacket for warmer days.
I have put the fxrg through a couple of storms during about a 2 hour ride at a time. it IS waterproof.

hope this helps.

regards.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It helps greatly. I'll look into other options. I don't normally buy things by brand unless of course it is he bike itself ;)
thanks again and a safe and happy new year.
WAP.gif

No more H D leather for me the boots are junk too

I have the 09 version and I think that is the latest. The quality seems very good, fits well, plenty of pockets and the vents work like it was air conditioning yet stays realtively warm at highway speeds in the lower 50's without the liner. My only wish is that the sleeve zippers had the little notch (like jeans do) to keep the zipper in place while trying to slip gauntlet gloves over the sleeve - not a big deal though. It does seem very similar in construction and feel to an old Hein Gericke Dakar jacket I used to have, wouldn't be surprised if it was a HG design. List on this thing is $650 which is not cheap by any means but quality jackets cost, look around at Vanson etc. BUT, I got it online from Chicago HD for $520 plus $22 shipping, at my door (west coast) in 5 days.
Worth the $ IMO.
I also found an near new condition one for the GF on craigslist (Anchorage of all places) for just $150 shipping included. Mind you this one is a 99 version. While the 09 version is more stylishly cut and has stretch panels on the sides, I think this older one is better because the newer (womens) version does not have the forward facing vents (more mid location and smaller) but 2 up it may be a moot point..........however its still of top of the line bit of kit for a bargain basement price

I agree with the posters who mentioned Fox Creek. Trying to get it at a discount price on flea bay is getting harder and harder to do. I like to save where I can.

Back