fuel supply valve question

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Smokingkarma, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Smokingkarma

Smokingkarma New Member

the bike stalled on me while I was riding it. I thought it may be bad gas, so I drained fuel and replace the fuel line and cleaned out the fuel valve filter. It started and ran a few minutes then stalled again. I have a new fuel valve and filter. The new fuel valve states it replaces the original but it does not have the vacuum nozzle on it. Is this going to be a problem? I plan on working on this in the morning, but do not want to take it apart if this will not work. Thanks in advance for the help.

SK

2. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Nope.. No problem. Just be sure to block off the vacuum line that was on the old petcock.

3. Smokingkarma

Smokingkarma New Member

Thanks so much for the help.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

No problem, but it does put the onas on the rider to remember to shut off the fuel petcock when leaving your bike parked for long periods of time...especially if over 2 weeks or so...!

The only thing holding the full tank of gas from emptying into the carb is the float needle valve...if it gets grooved or does not seat properly, it can easily flow fluid past, to empty 5 gallons of fuel into the engine, fill the cylinders and crankcase area diluting the oil in the sump.

5. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

How did you verify this is the problem? Could be a needle and seat issue in the carb. Just a thought.:)