free website stats program Fuel Injection Problems (intermittent) | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Injection Problems (intermittent)

blackvette58

Greetings to all from Bradenton, FL. I purchased my 2004 Wide Glide with about 4k in 2005. While still under warranty, I noticed that after the bike was warmed-up and I entered the highway and started cruising between 60 and 70 mpg, the bike would begin to stall...no fuel being delivered. When it reached 50 mpg the fuel would kick in again. It would do this for about 5 minutes and then settle-in and function normally the rest of the ride. On some highway rides it never occurred. It was intermittent in many respects. Also, if I was street cruising and did not exceed 50-55 mpg, it never occurred. I took it to the Harley Dealer, they did all kinds of tests and consulted with the factory. No cause was identified. It's nine years later, I have about 19,000 K on the bike, and I have the same problem. Harley has not been or will be helpful or responsible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. Where might I find directions regarding locating the fuel petcock on the FI set-up and what needs to be done to reach it and disassemble it for service?

:rr My apologies for the petcock screen post. Somehow the fact your bike is fuel injected got away from me. Since your bike is 10 years old, the fuel filter INSIDE the tank may be clogged. Also, as dbmg suggested above, the fuel line is prone to rubbing a pin hole in itself. HD has replacement fuel lines, or you can get fuel injected specification, submersible fuel line from auto parts stores for 1/3 the price. A EZ test for pin hole is to turn the ign. on and listen for pump to stop. Turn off and wait 2-4 minutes and turn back on. On a tight system, the pump will not need to prime again.

Greetings to all from Bradenton, FL. I purchased my 2004 Wide Glide with about 4k in 2005. While still under warranty, I noticed that after the bike was warmed-up and I entered the highway and started cruising between 60 and 70 mpg, the bike would begin to stall...no fuel being delivered. When it reached 50 mpg the fuel would kick in again. It would do this for about 5 minutes and then settle-in and function normally the rest of the ride. On some highway rides it never occurred. It was intermittent in many respects. Also, if I was street cruising and did not exceed 50-55 mpg, it never occurred. I took it to the Harley Dealer, they did all kinds of tests and consulted with the factory. No cause was identified. It's nine years later, I have about 19,000 K on the bike, and I have the same problem. Harley has not been or will be helpful or responsible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Has the fuel pressure been checked? Typically if the problem is the result of a pin hole in the fuel line in the tank, the problem will not exhibit on a full tank. Once the fuel level drops below the hole, the problem exhibits. Check fuel pressure.

Back