free website stats program Fuel Gauge Reads Full All the Time | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Gauge Reads Full All the Time

HackMax

Hi forumneers. This is my first post in this forum. I have 149 to go until I can download a manual to help me out on an issue I found on my new to me 2005 Fatboy. The fuel gauge reads full all the time. I don't know where to start on fixing this issue - can anyone help me?

Thanks
Rick

Hack, you are lucky, I have to keep adding gas to mine! lol

Seriously many more skilled responders will help you out soon, welcome to the forum!

Thanks. LOL yeah wouldn't that be nice if it was always full. I bought the bike now I have to save up for the gas.

I've found a few manuals on torrentz hopefully I can get one that covers mine.

Rick

I had the opposite problem, always showed empty. It is probably the same cause. The sending unit (float) in the tank is stuck. On my Road King (EFI) the gauge had a sticker saying don't rotate. This is because there are wires attached to it and you don't want to twist them off. You can rotate it a little back and forth to help and it should pull out. Remove a few screws below it and the sending unit can be removed. Make sure it is free to float up and down and not stuck. To check the gauge, slowley move the float from full to empty. My bike sat for several years before I bought it and I guess that is why it was stuck. I got it working this way but it was always flakey so I replaced the sending unit. Welcome to the forum and good luck!

I had the opposite problem, always showed empty. It is probably the same cause. The sending unit (float) in the tank is stuck. On my Road King (EFI) the gauge had a sticker saying don't rotate. This is because there are wires attached to it and you don't want to twist them off. You can rotate it a little back and forth to help and it should pull out. Remove a few screws below it and the sending unit can be removed. Make sure it is free to float up and down and not stuck. To check the gauge, slowley move the float from full to empty. My bike sat for several years before I bought it and I guess that is why it was stuck. I got it working this way but it was always flakey so I replaced the sending unit. Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Thank you! I didn't want to twist anything up there because it said not to so now I know thanks. I'll check on that when I get home.

Rick

Mine drops down to about a quarter almost immediately after filling it up. Spoke to the dealer (Mackie H-D in Oshawa ON) and he said he's seen a few and as stated here already, it's normally a sticky float. I'm bringing it in Friday for its first service and they'll look at then. Hopefully it's a quick fix.

I just fixed mine. It would read empty all the time.
I removed the float from the tank to find the ground wire had broke off its mount. I was able to open the clip and crimp the wire back into place. It took me a lot of monkeyin around. I would recommend a soldering iron to remove the post from the float, replace the post and crimp the wire back on, then solder the post back onto the float

Hi forumneers. This is my first post in this forum. I have 149 to go until I can download a manual to help me out on an issue I found on my new to me 2005 Fatboy. The fuel gauge reads full all the time. I don't know where to start on fixing this issue - can anyone help me?

Thanks
Rick

Drive bike till almost empty.
If you have EFI, remove the fuel pump fuse, start the bike until it stalls to remove the fuel pressure then disconnect the negitive battery cable from the battery.
Remove the speedometer bezel (1 nut in middle) Hang speedo carefully at side of tank. Unplug connection on top plate. Remove the 10 Torx screws from the plate and set aside. Note that these screws all have a plastic seal on them. Now lift the plate and remove the assembly. If you have EFI it is a little tricky because of the fuel pump. Before the assembly will come out of the bike you need to use side cutters on the rear fuel line to remove the clamp. This clamp will be replaced with a new screw type Stainless Steel clamp or better a 7/16 spring clamp on reassembly.
After getting the unit out you will see the metal stub from the float arm sticking past the float almost 1/4 " or more. Cut that off leaving 1/16th. Sand the cut area.
Now look in the upper left side of the tank and you will no doubt see the marks that this wire left in the tank primer.
When reinstalling the tank plate tighten lightly all screws starting in the middle and working left right left right etc. Do not overtighten (18 to 25 inch lbs) these screws or you can strip the tank hole.
Plug in wire removed at the start and see if your gas gauge reads almost empty. Your all set.

--------------------------------------------------------

Correction on on tank plate torx srew torque; 18 to 24 inch lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
float is hitting rib in tank need to put a little bend in it to get away from rib mine did same thing friend is a hd mechanic he showed me

Back