free website stats program Fuel Fumes from my 2013 Road Glide Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Fumes from my 2013 Road Glide Ultra

sharpy

I have had my Harley to two dealers and they don't seem to understand my issue or can not re-create it. When I ride for at least 30 minutes and park in my two car garage. I will come out about an hour later and the garage will be full of gas fumes. I have no leaks anywhere just fumes. Anyone ever had this issue?

I have had my Harley to two dealers and they don't seem to understand my issue or can not re-create it. When I ride for at least 30 minutes and park in my two car garage. I will come out about an hour later and the garage will be full of gas fumes. I have no leaks anywhere just fumes. Anyone ever had this issue?

Exact same thing with my new ride. Search posts and read about it. One dealer said might be a bad injector, but I dont think so. They changed gas cap thinking it wasnt venting. Same problem. I removed the cats recently and that made a very noticeable difference on the fumes. Not sure why but it helped. I've heard about this problem since 2008, but every dealer will tell you "thats the first time i've ever heard about that". Next time you pull it in the garage, remove gas cap for a few minutes so pressure is relieved and see if that helps. Its not a fix, but your garage wont blow up :D

I spoke to Harley customer servicer today. She spoke with some Techs and they mentioned that it could be the TIP OVER VALVE is sticking. I'm ready to put on pipes and Dyno just wanted to get this curred first.

Sometimes the heat of the motor will heat the fuel especially when tank is low and vent and that is what you smell.

Search the threads this topic has been asked over and over again. Here is what I can tell you and what I have posted in the past with my expierienc on this subject.
I have an 08 EG and this has been a problem from day one. My dealer was real good about it and checked the bike over on several different occasions, but gas smell still an issue. During a trip up north I took the bike into a dealer in West Virginia (still under warranty) after they checked it out and found nothing wrong the mechanic told me this is just something they have had a problem with since 08. It seems the fuller the tank is the less build up he said, less fuel more room for vapor build up in tank, more bleed off through vent hole. He went on to explain that the engines on the 08's and newer run hotter and the gap between top of engine and bottom of tank is smaller. Once you stop and park heat rises and gas evaporates fast thereby more fumes.
Solutions for reducing problem according to mechanic, fuel management system (tuner), better exhaust, oil cooler to keep engine at lower temp and last is a tank raiser kit that allows the tank to be slightly lifted in the front to allow more air flow over top of motor. All these where things I had planed to do anyway and since complete the fuel smell has reduced drastically. On super hot days (like here in Florida) I still get a little smell but not as bad.
Hope this helps everyone out. Good luck and stay safe.:bigsmiley12:

My 04 RK has had this problem since I bought it about 3 years ago. What has worked for me is to fill the gas tank before I park it in my garage. That reduces the smell quite a bit. I also keep a fan in the garage that I put in front of the bike pointing out the garage door. This cools the engine faster and blows the fumes out the door. Not a high tech solution, but it works.

I spoke to Harley customer servicer today. She spoke with some Techs and they mentioned that it could be the TIP OVER VALVE is sticking.

Can't believe the valve is sticking on almost every bike since '08. In other words, they're not exactly sure what the problem is and have no idea how to fix it.

My 04 RK has had this problem since I bought it about 3 years ago. What has worked for me is to fill the gas tank before I park it in my garage. That reduces the smell quite a bit. I also keep a fan in the garage that I put in front of the bike pointing out the garage door. This cools the engine faster and blows the fumes out the door. Not a high tech solution, but it works.

We have a winner!!!!!!!:57:

Just be careful the fan doesn't spark off the fuel vapor...............:small3d007:

Back