free website stats program Front Tire Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Tire Replacement

Ok......It's not really a "trick" it's part of the procedure. After you torque down the axle nut (to specs), you insert the drill bit into the "through hole" on the right side of the axle.....pull the slider out slightly to make it touch the bit and then torque down the slider nuts (to spec). It's always a good idea to line the hole in a horizontal position (parallel to the ground) to insure that the bit does not fall out while you are working. I use a piece of cold rolled steel that i turned down on the lathe. I did this because I have too much invested in my bike and tools to risk damage to either (Murphy's law :( ). But use what you have on hand. It's the Harley way.

Since you are going back do do work that you have not just started from scratch......do yourself a favor and "pry" back both sets of brake pads to relieve the pressure from the rotors (before you start) so that things move freely and don't create resistance for the task at hand or you will just defeat the purpose and give yourself a mess of frustration.:57:

Well, I broke down and read the manual. All worked out fine during tire and brake pad replacement. Ah yes, the drill bit "trick"!:sd

Back