free website stats program Front Shifter Spline | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Shifter Spline

leeyac

Hi,
My Heel Toe shifter is going.. I had to remove the HEEL part looks like the Spline is worn. Any one have the part number. am told it is pretty easy to replace. A youtube video would be nice :)
Lee

If for 2003 Road King (FB); shift lever PN is 33895-82A.

Search: Ronnie's on-line parts finder: Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's Harley Davidson Street Bike Parts Finder
Select year and model of bike;
Select assembly from list then select the part from assembly drawing and enter a QTY.
[The part number will show when you click through to view cart as if to purchase:]
Click ‘Add items to Parts List’ at bottom
Click ‘Send to Cart’ at top of next screen
Read part number on next screen: 33895-82A

I have the same problem, and I think you'll find it's the splines on the shaft that are bad and not the shifter lever itself. You can't replace the shaft without removing the inner primary. Big job! I drilled a hole in the shifter lever that lines up with the center of the shaft and threaded it. Then continued the hole into the shaft about 1/8 inch. Then I ground a bolt into a point and threaded it into the shift lever and into the shaft. A little locktite and you're all set.

I haven't had this problem yet but it would seem that if you drilled a hole in the shifter why would you stop there, couldn't you drill the hole all the way through the shifter and the shaft and put in a tension pin.

Mine was giving me fits when I first got the bike. In my case it was improperly installed and the first time I just put it back the same way. The second time I got the pinch bolt positioned better and put a really solid pull on the allen screw (after loctite). It has held a year. The straight splines on the lever are not pristine. 2 more things I felt it really wasn't right even then as the dimple on the shaft and the position on the shifter still were not the best. And the position for my heal to reach is not handy for me either.

I had the heal Shift lever fail last weekend, was the lever its self, shaft was fine. Picked up replacement and all good. after driving away I thought about drilling and pinning the hole if this lever slips on the shaft. I wonder if lunar pull from the "supermoon" made all our heal shifters fail at the same time?

Back