free website stats program Front Running Lights | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Running Lights

2002SilverSurfer

Need a bit of help.....havent looked at my fuse block yet but on Saturday, I got a new battery installed and had a new security FOB programmed. I didnt notice when I picked the bike up that my front running lights werent working. I should have checked but was hurrying to get back to work. When I left work Saturday evening, after the dealer was closed, I noticed both fronts not working. I stopped by today to get the dealer to check them and they were closed. Any idea what might have happened to the running lights from a battery swap and/or a key FOB programming? As a side note, its just the running lights.....turn signals still work.

Stupid question... did you check the switch or make sure your lights are not on high beam?

Which running lights are you referring to, the running lights in the directional body or the driving lights(spots) .

Check your accessory fuse in the fuse panel.

Eleft36 - I havent actually checked the bulbs but the odds of both of the driving light filaments going at the exact same time are astronomical. The turn signal part of the filament still works when activating the signals or the security system.

WHM1 - I have attached pics of both low and high beam.....no joy on either.

Glider - I guess the running lights in the directional body....the amber ones that also act as turn signals.....not the spots....

I have to make a run to Virginia Beach and back this afternoon and would prefer to not run up and down Interstate 95 for 6 hours (3 there, 3 back) without these. I'm heading out to the garage now to check the fuses.

Thanks,
2002SilverSurfer

OK....its now about 25 minutes later and I pulled the seat and checked the fuse block....the accessory fuse looks to be in good shape. I can replace it regardless but unless anyone has some last minute ideas, I may have to ride about 85 miles out of my way to take it back to the dealer this morning before I get on the road.....thats an extra hour of driving time each way.....**grumble, whine, grumble**

Attachments

• lowbeam.jpg
    lowbeam.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 23
  • highbeam.jpg
    highbeam.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Go the old fashioned way take a 12v. test light start at the pigtails and work your way back through the wiring

You should be able to get to the plugs under the headlight nacelle where the marker lights plug in and test it there for starters. I believe it's a blue or blue with purple stripe that you are looking for coming from the marker light.

Best bet is do as Steve mentioned with a test light and work from that plug back into the bike using the diagram in your factory manual. Also check both sides of the fuse with the test light. I've seen a fuse that looked good but was burnt out in an area where it didn't show.

I suggested the bulbs from my own personal experience when I relocated the lights for a windshield install, the signals worked and one running light, the bulb was bad.
Yep, I thought I screwed something up.
It's the simplest thing to check, install a new(1157) or bulb you know is good.

Al

Back