free website stats program Front brake problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake problem

HOLY DIVER

2004 Deuce (Dad's bike) the front brake lever is staying back causing the brake light to be on at all times,master cylinder need rebuilt? What is supposed to keep it pushed out and off the pressure switch that activates the brake light ?
WAP.gif

Could be the master cylinder, how does it brake? It may also be the brake light switch, if the little nib on the switch breaks the lights will stay on. I'd be leaning more on the master cylinder is weak.

There is a spring in the master cylinder that pushes the piston back when the leaver is released as the piston moves it pushes on the leaver

Brian

bet you never change brake fluid be for.04 use silicone fluid the small brake system condensate you got water in it and it corrode it will have thick sludge in it. friends bike did same thing. I took it a part cleaned it out and its good to go. you should change fluid every other year or so or at least every pad change.

dismantled the master cylinder on mine, the previous owner had used the wrong brake fluid that had caused a thick grey sludge, give it a good clean out.

It is common for the caliper pistons to collect road grime and resist returning to the original position.

If the fluid has not been changed, a fluid change would be a good idea but clean the pistons as well.

Back