free website stats program Front and rear tire wear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front and rear tire wear

Just replaced the rear on my fxst I went from a dunlap 200x55x17 to METZLER 210x50x17 the bike handles great . As far as wear the dunlap went 8k no burnouts ( I swear) the metzler looks good as far as wear we'll see (I wont speculate )but IMO the dunlap on the 06 fxst sucked (qualifier) compared to the 07 and later (d407) but thats a different subject

BGrant,

Here is some hard info. I have an '03 UC with just over 70k miles on it. I just replaced (last weekend) my Dunlop D402 MT90B16 with a Dunlop D402 MU85B16 (Std on the '04+). I had 5,570 miles on the old tire, a little over 10 months. The tire was down to the wear bars, but had NOT started wearing them. Front has plenty of tread.

I am pretty good about checking the air in the tires and keeping the front at 36 and the rear about 38. Keep the air shocks at - 0 - for just me. If Momma and I are going riding for a while, I will take the rear up to 40, and the air shocks up to 20.

We will see how the MU does. I consider the 5,570 miles on the MT to be low milage.

TQ

Esteemed Gentlemen,
The tires are your ONLY interface with the road. PLEASE dont scrimp here!
Spend the big money if you think think tires are better? If they don't handle exactly the way you like change them immediately. sell them with 500 miles to someone else or just toss'em. Its worth every penny to stay up and have a good time

BGrant,

Here is some hard info. I have an '03 UC with just over 70k miles on it. I just replaced (last weekend) my Dunlop D402 MT90B16 with a Dunlop D402 MU85B16 (Std on the '04+). I had 5,570 miles on the old tire, a little over 10 months. The tire was down to the wear bars, but had NOT started wearing them. Front has plenty of tread.

I am pretty good about checking the air in the tires and keeping the front at 36 and the rear about 38. Keep the air shocks at - 0 - for just me. If Momma and I are going riding for a while, I will take the rear up to 40, and the air shocks up to 20.

We will see how the MU does. I consider the 5,570 miles on the MT to be low milage.

TQ

I am with you TQ I was embarassed to admit it but I would love to see my tires touch the 10-12K miles before needing to change the rear out. The best I had on my 03 RK or 07 EGC was around 5500 miles and I also check my Tire pressure PLEASE PLEASE tell me why the rest of the riders can average 10-12k on thier bikes

I just hopeI can get at least 8k out of the new Dunlop 407 Before needing a change

Go out and Vote Ride Safe
BuffaloBill

On my 2007 FatBoy changed the rear tire at 8,500 miles.... I have slightly over 20,000 total miles... meaning I have 11,500 on the second one. Still has good thread but will change over the winter so I will not miss any days in the saddle when the weather is nice.

:newsmile091: For what its worth only got 10,000 miles out of my first back tire. But shortly after replaceing it with another stock Dunlop I had my wheels chromed. When installing back tire I noticed that the cam used to line up the rear axle on the right side had rotated clockwise about a 1/8 of a inch after tightening axle nut.So I use a flat punch to knock the cam back so it was the same as the cam on the other side. Got over 20,000 miles out of that tire ( alot of the miles where on highway trips loaded down ). After getting my next tire put on I did the same thing an tire shows little wear after only 4,000 mile. I asked the service tech at local Harley if aligning cams made the difference in tire wear and he just smiled and said probably.

I keep the stock tires on my 04 UC. I've put 31k miles on her the last 18 months, she had 9800 miles when I got it. I've changed the rear twice and the front once. The rear was changed at 14k and 30k and the front was changed at 14k because of road damage. Now, at 41k miles, the tires are still good.

Back