free website stats program Free Amps... | Harley Davidson Forums

Free Amps...

70_West

Guys/Gals... Anybody know how many amps are available for secondary use on a 09 Heritage? I am going to make myself a new heated jacket and am thinking of adding a hood, pants and gloves to it this go round. I made one a couple of years ago, and it works great, but there's room for improvement...

I know I got a 38 amp charging system, just not sure how much of it is available. If I had that information, I can calculate how much draw I want everything combined to have. Don't want to exceed the stators range and draw down my battery. I'm figuring 150 watts maximum and can adjust that down if it's more than 80% or so of what's available.

Thanks!

I believe your '09 Heritage has more than a 38 amp charging system. It has a 3-phase unit that I think is more in the neighborhood of 50 amps. Your 150watt design should pull around 12.5 amps... 150watts divided by 12 volts= 12.5 amps.

If West's bike uses the same VR (part# 74631-08) as my 2009 Dyna it is only 38 amps. The Heritage may be stronger but they sure don't leave you a lot of margin on Dyna's so be sure the battery tests strong.

I designed the jacket last night and came up with 50 watts/4 amps… If I decide to go with a set of heated grips, in lieu of gloves, that will probably consume another 3.5-4 amps. That puts me near 22% of the 38 total amps available, AFAIK

Wish I knew how much the bike consumes during operation… I’m thinking that is a 3 phase stator, but it was only rated at a total of 38 amps? I wish it did have 50 available, does anybody know for sure? With that much available, a fellow could figure a way to run air conditioning during the Summer!

The easiest way to find how many amps is with a clamp on amp meter or a regular amp meter placed between the + on the battery and the battery wire.

The easiest way to find how many amps is with a clamp on amp meter or a regular amp meter placed between the + on the battery and the battery wire.

That won't do it because the current draw will be offset by the charging system. To see the true bikes current draw, you could remove the Maxi fuse and replace it with a jumper wire and then clamp your induction probe around that. Or just place your amp shunt in place of the Maxi.

Or just place your amp shunt in place of the Maxi.

Now that a good idea...

Talked to the Dealer (Parts Department), and they said it would not be a problem running all the heated gear I wanted, however they couldn’t tell me how many amps were available for it.

Easiest solution might be to simply run a voltmeter and if it starts dropping, turn off something…

I'm going to dig out an Amp Meter and try Hoople's advice as I would dearly love to know exactly what's available.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oops, made a mistake. Tapping at the Maxi won't work either. After looking at the schematic it shows the voltage regulator is AFTER the Maxi, not before.... Sorry about that.
Measuring at the Maxi would be the same as the battery post. Memory is going.!

Back