free website stats program Fork oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork oil change

N Lee

How critical is getting the amount of oil in each fork tube precise. The spec on my Road King is 11.1 oz. 11.1
not 11.5,11 or 12 but 11.1. Who does that?

I was computer systems and network engineer. Logical thinking and common sense troubleshooting/attention to detail is kind my thing. A blessing and a curse. LOL. So do I err on the high side or the low side of the spec?

JMHO but 11oz is good enough; just be sure same amount in each fork. Remember that you can't get 100% if the old oil out; don't now exactly how much but there is some left behnd.

I use a Veterinarian Syringe. Pretty precise. Old school trick to stiffen your suspension is to add more oil. Just don't get crazy.
THAT’S exactly what I’ve used for years.
I wrap clear sellotape around the plastic body to preserve all the numbers and lines on the body.
Doesn’t take much to rub them off a “One Time Use Only” thing.

JMHO but 11oz is good enough; just be sure same amount in each fork. Remember that you can't get 100% if the old oil out; don't now exactly how much but there is some left behnd.
Quite true.
IF you really must put in the exact specified amount; you’ll have to strip the forks completely, dry every single component and reassemble.
Then you can put your 11.1 oz. back in. That should satisfy your OCD feelings and you can walk away knowing it’s correctly correct.
Or you could just let them drain for an hour or so and add 11.0 oz.and not feel any guilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
THAT’S exactly what I’ve used for years.
I wrap clear sellotape around the plastic body to preserve all the numbers and lines on the body.
Doesn’t take much to rub them off a “One Time Use Only” thing.
Great idea! I'll be doing that with the tape!

Back