free website stats program Fork Brace | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork Brace

gator508

Experienced Member
Hi everyone!

Does anyone use a fork brace on their bike. Are they worth the considerable expense. Does it make a noticeable difference in handling...or is it just another form of snakeoil. Thanks!

A fork brace can help eliminate fork twist most evident when a single brake is used on the front
and can be of use when bike is pushed to the extremes of handling and yes i have used them in the past when i was riding fast sports bikes that were fitted with a plastic front fender
the metal front fender on a harley acts like a fork brace and helps reduce fork twist
i think that i would get little or no benefit from a fork brace on my bike

Brian

I have a fork brace on my FXST 03 and noticed better handling after installing it. And it puts a differant look to the front forks.

Thanks Brian, Sky,

I didn't think the brace would add all that much unless the bike is really pushed, they do look like they add a glitzy touch to the front.

Fitting a fork brace for the look is ok it is just that the softail custom does not lend itself to sharp handling on twisty roads and a fork brace wont help much there

Brian

Thanks Brian, Sky,

I didn't think the brace would add all that much unless the bike is really pushed, they do look like they add a glitzy touch to the front.
I have used a Scream'n Eagle front fork brace on all my owned Sporsters and Dynas. The last one was put on My 2000 FXDS. It makes sence it me to have the Tightest Geomerty I can on these bikes.
IF properly installed and Linned Up (a must do), It will save a lot of wear-n-tear on the seals in the front forks ie; stopping the twisting motion in the forks a bonus to the More Stable Ride thru the twisties.

I never thought the Brace would do a lot but stiffen the fron-end UNTIL I installed the first one on my Sportster, then rode it.
WOW,, Noticed a huge likable difference right off.

I agree it Looks Good Also...

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with Bubbie. I put one on my fxdx a while back. I noticed a slight difference with regular riding. But when pushed to the limit in turns (draggin pegs at 80mph) it was a major difference. Just felt like it handled the high speed turns better and more stable. Took some of my high speed wobble out too, but not much.

Fitting a fork brace for the look is ok it is just that the softail custom does not lend itself to sharp handling on twisty roads and a fork brace wont help much there

Brian

I beg to differ. I have road the twisty roads of NY,PA,and WV. and I ride them fast and hard. I always have to wait for the others that are riding with me.

But I have been told "One of these days---" and "there is something not so right about you".

How true.

Ride a twisty road without a brace, then go home put on and ride the road again, you'll fill it.

Fork brace makes a big difference in handling if you push your bike beyond 7/10's pace. Funny, I had them on all my sport bikes except the Sportster. Guess it is because I do not push the bike beyond 7/10's at least so far. But to see what it does, without...I have done this on even the Sportster to see if the flex was still there and it is.

With bike on jiffystand, front wheel turned to the stop left, use your knee to gently nudge (maybe 20lbs) on the front wheel against the stop...you will see the inner fork stancion flex 1/8" or so out of parallel. Imagine almost double that when at speed when you are countersteering...that deflection is magnified in degrees depending how tight radius a turn.

Last edited:
Fitting a fork brace for the look is ok it is just that the softail custom does not lend itself to sharp handling on twisty roads and a fork brace wont help much there....Brian

Agree with you Brian......the Softtail chassis is not really designed to cut up the road. The most benefit from a fork brace are the Sporty, Dyna and FXRs that are set-up for that type of riding.

Back