free website stats program ? for Tquetin1 | Harley Davidson Forums

? for Tquetin1

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
TQ,

I found this reply from you in a thread:

I have an '03. When you say that the toe shifter has "fallen" is it just that lever, or both toe and heel? In other words, is the problem really with the rear shift lever on the tranny? I have had a couple of those wear out since the lever metal is the sacrificial weak link rather than rounding off the splines on the shaft. If it is this rear lever, sorry bud, but you have to pull the inner primary to replace it!!Don't forget to use lots of RTV on the three rear standoffs and on those bolts when remounting the inner primary.

If it is only the toe shift lever "falling", look at both the inside splines on the lever, and the splines on the front shifter shaft. If either are worn, replace that part. Hope it is this. Much easier to fix.

TQ

I am facing same issue with My '03 RK. 11k miles and the original is gone already. Did you find a fix other than replacing it eveytime it went bad?

Thanks,
Bodeen

I am facing same issue with My '03 RK. 11k miles and the original is gone already. Did you find a fix other than replacing it eveytime it went bad?

Thanks,
Bodeen

Unfortunately not. And I am not sure it would be a good idea to find a lever that was stouter than the shifter shaft. You do NOT want the teeth on the shaft damaged by a harder lever.

Having said all that, I think the problem develops when the pinch bolt loosens allowing slight movement of the lever splines against the harder shaft splines. So a good routine maintenance item to add to your checklist is to check the torque on the lever pinch bolt periodically (say quarterly) to ensure it is still tight. This you can do WITHOUT disassembling the engine/tranny!!

TQ

I had noticed that my lever was getting slopy so I removed the pinch bolt and put a drop of blue loctite on the bolt and reinstalled and cranked her down tight. End of free play in the shifter. By the time we have these bikes worn out we should have most of the wrinkles ironed out
kemo

Unfortunately not. And I am not sure it would be a good idea to find a lever that was stouter than the shifter shaft. You do NOT want the teeth on the shaft damaged by a harder lever.

Having said all that, I think the problem develops when the pinch bolt loosens allowing slight movement of the lever splines against the harder shaft splines. So a good routine maintenance item to add to your checklist is to check the torque on the lever pinch bolt periodically (say quarterly) to ensure it is still tight. This you can do WITHOUT disassembling the engine/tranny!!

TQ

T Q, did you find a lot of rattling with your shifter. The reason I ask is my 97 FLHT did this. I took it to Limey RIP at St. Augustine Fl. H D , the original shop. He cut an old valve spring, slid it behind the shifter and no more rattle and it never loosened up in 60,000 miles, Jack

Thanks to all you guy's.

My pinch bolt has never been loose as long as I have owned the bike. Cant vouch what happened to the previous owner. Jack seems to be on to something with the constant vibration of the front putting undue stress on the rear lever. The spring idea is a great one.
Glider has suggested a pinch bolt replacement and that is in the mail from Zannotti's but to my eye it looks more ominous than that.
What will I need when pulling primary? Do I need to replace oil seals? Obviously the outer primary gasket and the inner o-ring.

Thanks a bunch,

Bodeen

What will I need when pulling primary? Do I need to replace oil seals? Obviously the outer primary gasket and the inner o-ring.

Check this:

PRIMARY HOUSING - 2003 Harley Davidson Touring Road King FLHRI

At least this stuff:

110: O-RING
120: OIL SEAL, INNER PRIMARY
130: OIL SEAL
150: GASKET, CLUTCH COVER
190: GASKET, PRIMARY COVER
200: GASKET, INSPECTION COVER

Don't forget the sealant on the stand-offs and the bolts behind the clutch basket in the inner primary!

TQ

TQ,

Thanks for the info. As expected, I replaced the pinch bolt this evening and it didn't make a difference. The old one was really tight and had Locktite on it so I guess its just cheap china Harley junk. Understanding that if it were a harder material it would wear the shaft going in the tranny.
Looks like I'm going in. Cant wait to take the TD exhaust off. It's one of my favorite things to do.:D

Thanks gentlemen,

Bodeen

Back