Football air filter cover

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by PaulWhite, Mar 8, 2010.

1. PaulWhite

PaulWhite Active Member

I have a 07 Heritage and it has a football cover over it. It has a round K&N filter. My question is, would it hurt to run the bike with the football cover off and the filter open. I looks better with out the cover. Just wondering?

2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

I dont think so,, if filter covers all access to efi or carb........

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

No problem at all. They also sell a trim plate that goes on the top of the filter to finish it off so it looks better.

4. PaulWhite

PaulWhite Active Member

I have a trim cover that was on my football cover the "ride to live live to ride cover. so it has a finished look. I was just wanting to knoow before I rode it too far. thanks. I didn't think it would but wanted to check fist.

5. murf

murf Active Member

If you're looking for more air without buying a new unit just space equal distance and drill 5, 1/2" holes in the bottom black plastic section of air cleaner cover. It's an old cheapie hop up trick from back in the day. Of course that ruins resale of the part if you do. but it will give you lots more air. If you don't have a better flowing exhaust than stock I would consider that also. If you're gonna feed it more clean air you want to let more bad air out. could get you 10 % or so more power.

6. PaulWhite

PaulWhite Active Member

no just don't like the football cover

7. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

ME either, I ordered a new SE stage 1 with a billet cover. I to hate the football.

8. glenalt

glenalt Junior Member

What do you put on the filter, if anything, to keep the rain out?

9. bikerfishman

bikerfishman Active Member

I had a rain sock on my forcewinder, and that made a world of difference in the seattle rain.
    Pretty much kept it on there all year.

10. PaulWhite

PaulWhite Active Member

i have the k&n air filter charger kit fir my truck