free website stats program Fluids - Happy Bike! | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluids - Happy Bike!

TQuentin1

Staff member
Changed all the lubricating fluids this weekend, and the engine/tranny/primary runnin' right! As follows:

Engine: Mobil 1 VTwin Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 4 qts.
Tranny: Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil, 22 oz. (650 ml.)
Primary: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil, 1 qt.
Oil filter: HD 63798-99A

Also changed out the hoses on the oil cooler since they were leaking at the fittings. Gonna replace those 3/8" ID black reinforced hoses with these:

Drag Specialties :: Tanks & Oil Filters > Oil & Vent Lines & Fittings > UNIVERSAL STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED OIL LINES

Cleaned up all the mess at the front of the engine from the hose leaks with some spray-on degreaser (O'Reilly's) and Simply Green. Did notice a very minor leak on the back of the rear cylinder at the rocker box/jug gasket. Will keep an eye on this. When it's time, will do a top end job.

Got to find the time to clean this bike, though! Starting to look like a Rat Bike!!

TQ

TQ, you ride the ol' bikel and when not, use the best stuff and good regimen, and it is no garage queen...nothing to apologize for. Butmaybe Smitty has the right idea with PigSpit and S100...when you stop riding long enough of course, just don't leave any luggage in the shower, don't want to start a turf war at home...:rofl

Sounds like the perfect oil combination from what i have read on this forum. I also run the Spectro in the gearbox and primary (though i'm thinkin of going back to the HD Formula+ in the primary) and I'll be changing to Mobil V twin shortly. How long have you run the Mobil V twin?

Neil

TQ,,,,,,, I don't understand the amount of tranny oil you use?????

22oz. I thought the OLDER box holds 26/28? are the cases different on yours OR modified?

signed....BUBBIE

TQ,,,,,,, I don't understand the amount of tranny oil you use?????

22oz. I thought the OLDER box holds 26/28? are the cases different on yours OR modified?

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

I swapped out the OEM 5-spd for the SE 6-spd. The distructions that come with it say:

13. Fill the transmission with 20-24 oz. (590-710 ml) of transmission lubricant or until the lubricant level on the dipstick of the filler plug is at the FULL mark with the motorcycle in a level, upright position and the filler plug resting on the threads.

TQ

Sounds like the perfect oil combination from what i have read on this forum. I also run the Spectro in the gearbox and primary (though i'm thinkin of going back to the HD Formula+ in the primary) and I'll be changing to Mobil V twin shortly. How long have you run the Mobil V twin?

Neil

Changed to M1 VTwin on 2/22/07 with 58,108 miles on the clock. Experimented with Amsoil for a few changes. Now back to M1. Engine has been on a synthetic diet since 2/07 though.

TQ

Got to find the time to clean this bike, though! Starting to look like a Rat Bike!!

TQ

TQ, you better get on that pretty soon or this might happen!!

rat-bike-picture.jpg

Back