free website stats program Fluid leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid leak

Az Rider

Have what looks like a fluid leak from the grommet of the stator wires where it enters the crankcase. Any ideas on this?

engine1.jpg engine2.jpg

Moderator deleted dead picture links

Last edited by a moderator:
Without puling your stator out to reseal the plug I would just clean the area, very well, and reseal with silicone from the outside. Once cleaned look at it closely for any cracks.
tourbox

Welcome aboard. +1 what Tourbox said. Very clean then silicone. Many have had success doing it that way.

One of the tricks to stop this type of leak it to clean it up very well with something to cut the oil and build up (like mineral spirits), and then work an o-ring that fits snuggly over the the moulded rubber that plugs the hole and holds the wires coming out of the stator to the VR. Take your time and use something to work the o-ring in that will not damage the o-ring or the moulded piece (like a popsicle stick). Might get a few more thousand miles from this before having to pull the primary cover and stuff out to reseal the stopper plug from the inside of the primary.

Cheers,

TQ

Best thing to clean up with is spray brake cleaner. Easy to use, cuts oil and grease easily, no residue, will not damage parts including wiring and connectors

2nd the brake cleaner. It also evaporates quickly. Put something under the bike when you doing. Which reminds me... I’m all out of brake cleaner !

Back