free website stats program FLTC Transmission Slips | Harley Davidson Forums

FLTC Transmission Slips

bagger08

Hello,

I have a 1985 FLTC Evoution with a 5speed Transmission.( This one has
the clutch release lever on top of the transmission )
If you acellerate it fifth gear it seems to slip.
However if you back off it seems to be alright. Also noticed
this as well in second gear.

Service Infomation:

1. changed transmission oil
2. changed Primary case oil
3. Clutch adjustment is out from the handlebar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jerry

Thanks,
No I have not done any other work was just doing some research today.
Thanks for your input! This just started happening after about 500 miles
of riding. When I had the primary cover off I noticed the pressure plates
looked crusty.
Thank Again
Jerry

You shouldn't see anything crusty, just oily. Try a clutch adjustment and primary oil change. Your symptoms sound like either a clutch adjustment is needed or a replacement is due because of worn clutch plates.

Service Infomation:

1. changed transmission oil
2. changed Primary case oil
3. Clutch adjustment is out from the handlebar.

Jerry,

As Glider mentioned, adjust the clutch as indicated in your factory service manual. You might get some help from here:

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

and here:

Adjustment and Troubleshooting of Clutches. - Harley Davidson Community

There are some additional posts that may help you. Please see this general section:

Transmission,Clutch and Primary - Harley Davidson Community

Also, you mentioned that you had just changed the fluids. Please identify what you used in each application, but especially the primary and tranny.

TQ

You shouldn't see anything crusty, just oily. Try a clutch adjustment and primary oil change. Your symptoms sound like either a clutch adjustment is needed or a replacement is due because of worn clutch plates.

Thanks Again,
Helpful tips, will advise when the repair is finished.
Jerry

Thanks TQ,

Will post results on this one.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley Folks advise a clutch pack.
Any detailed tips on how I have
the manual. Will do the friction plates
and the clutch plates, along with any
other needs

Thanks Jerry

Harley Folks advise a clutch pack.
Any detailed tips on how I have
the manual. Will do the friction plates
and the clutch plates, along with any
other needs

Thanks Jerry

That model year probably has the diaphram pressure spring compressing the clutch plates. You will have to borrow or buy the compressor to get the snap ring off and then unload the diaphram spring in order to replace the clutch pack.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BACKYARD THIS PART. GET ONE OF THE TOOLS DESIGNED TO COMPRESS THE DIAPHRAM SPRING.

You might consider replacing the diaphram spring and the snap ring. While you have the cable slacked off, it is a good time to lube it. Check the cable keeper in the handle to make sure it does not have a groove worn in it. Replace if it does. Lube and reassemble the handle.

You might want to consider pulling the rotor and inspecting the magnets and the stator while you have the primary open.

Be sure to use Loctite red or equivalent on the compensator nut AND the clutch nut (lefty). When you get it all back together, adjust the clutch and the chain BEFORE putting the cap back on.

When all buttoned up, refill the primary with a quart of Formula Plus or Spectro Primary. You should plan on adjusting the clutch within about 1,000 miles, replacing the fluid then or at least by 2,500 miles.

TQ

apologize for the lack of specifics.

Have a late 84 which has some different parts ( Number of friction plates etc )
a middle of the road year.

It does not seem to have the springs you mentioned or is it my faulty translation.

Thx.

apologize for the lack of specifics.

Have a late 84 which has some different parts ( Number of friction plates etc )
a middle of the road year.

It does not seem to have the springs you mentioned or is it my faulty translation.

Thx.

My mistake. I apologize if the info above does not fit your bike. Is yours a Shovel? Check this starting at page 147. Does that look like your clutch?

Harley Davidson Community - HDTimeline Downloads Page - Shovelhead 66-84 manual

TQ

Back