free website stats program FLT clutch problem | Harley Davidson Forums

FLT clutch problem

fidel33

I have 1986 FLT with external arm where the clutch cable connects to engage the clutch. I have adjusted the clutch by the book and also had my
mechanic adjust the clutch, and I have been stranded on the side of the road more than I would like. Is this a known problem with this model? Is there
a inexpensive alternative? Any advice welcome.

More information like why did you have to adjust and why it left you on the side of the road.

I have 1986 FLT with external arm where the clutch cable connects to engage the clutch. I have adjusted the clutch by the book and also had my
mechanic adjust the clutch, and I have been stranded on the side of the road more than I would like. Is this a known problem with this model? Is there
a inexpensive alternative? Any advice welcome.

I would be looking at the clutch plates and the hub

There are several pieces involved in your clutch release mechanism. A common problem is a broken thrust bearing. The link may help you see what's involved.
I think there was also mid year changes in the assembly.

There are several pieces involved in your clutch release mechanism. A common problem is a broken thrust bearing. The link may help you see what's involved.
I think there was also mid year changes in the assembly.

Sorry, I got distracted by the tv news about a freak bear accident in Canada, and forgot to post the link. Our forum friend was indeed lucky with his bear encounter!!

1986 Harley-Davidson FLHT Parts, 1986 Harley-Davidson FLHT OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back