free website stats program FLHTCU Riders Backrest | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTCU Riders Backrest

FLST

Just traded for 07 FLHT. Do not have service manual yet. Was trying to remove seat to access battery to attach tender leads. I removed the screw at the back and got the front released from it's attachment point. The riders backrest seems to be attached somewhere beneath the seat. I couldn't see under there well enough to figure out what was attached to what. Anyone with experience in removing these seats?

There are 2 models of HD backrests (and several aftermarkets). If your back rest can be adjusted by pulling a lever below the left front of the seat, there is a lever just to the right of where the backrest slides into the bracket. Just push down on the lever.
The other kind that is manually adjusted has two legs with a spring pushing out on them at the bottom. The RIGHT leg is hinged, pull or push HARD right and cock the backrest sideways, to allow the left leg to come out of the hole. Repeat, walking the unit up and out. I absolutely HATED, mine and popped for the high dollar model.
These links may give a better visual.
Rider Backrest for Harley Davidson Touring Electra Glide Standard FLHT 1988 2008

Harley Touring Vinyl Adjustable Rider Backrest Road King Electra Glide FLHT

The other kind that is manually adjusted has two legs with a spring pushing out on them at the bottom. The RIGHT leg is hinged, pull or push HARD right and cock the backrest sideways, to allow the left leg to come out of the hole. Repeat, walking the unit up and out. I absolutely HATED, mine and popped for the high dollar model.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The one on my bike is great for riding, but what a pain to remove & re-install!!!!!! I had to move the mounting bracket back so I had more leg room, and now the hole in the seat doesn't line up with the slot in the bracket so it's even harder to get back in. I only remove the back rest if absolutely necessary now.

There are 2 models of HD backrests (and several aftermarkets). If your back rest can be adjusted by pulling a lever below the left front of the seat, there is a lever just to the right of where the backrest slides into the bracket. Just push down on the lever.
These links may give a better visual.
Rider Backrest for Harley Davidson Touring Electra Glide Standard FLHT 1988 2008

Harley Touring Vinyl Adjustable Rider Backrest Road King Electra Glide FLHT

Thank you Breeze. The second of your suggestions was the one that applied to me. You weren't whistling dixie when you said it was a pain. I got it after some fiddling, fussing, and cussing. Tender leads installed and seat back on. Now for some good weather.

Back