free website stats program Flhtcu 1989 oil filter housing loose? | Harley Davidson Forums

Flhtcu 1989 oil filter housing loose?

Hey guy's new to the forum and just purchased my first Harley it is a full dresser converted to a bagger, got it home and noticed the oil filter housing is loose. I am wandering about riding this in that condition, how can I tighten up the bolt that holds this tight to the frame?

Will it strip the bolt if I continue to ride? And it is leaking a little oil.

I appreciated any help as I am new to Harley's

What part of the "oil filter housing" are you referring to? Is it the part where it attaches to the engine block or otherwise?

The part I am talking about is the oil filter housing that attaches to the bottom of the frame and or block. I can take the filter in my hand and the aluminum housing it screws into does wiggle a little.

Thanks again

It looks like it is just a housing assembly because the supply and return hoses go into the side. I am just afraid a little put may loosen that bolt and the housing may fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're talking about the oil cooler adapter then? You have to remove the filter to tighten that up.

the bolts that tighten it is found under the seat and forward. my 90 tour glide had a loose filter housing. you can't get your hand on it but you can a wrench. if you can't find bolt , shake the housing while you are looking with a light and you will see it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

just to be clear about a few things I wrote. you need to remove your seat. then you need to look down in the space under the seat and forward. There is a little space, not big enough to get hand through but big enough to get a wrench in there. you will see a bolt in that space. that is probably one of 2 bolts that need to be tighten. could not find the second bolt, but i tighten that one bolt and haven't had any more problems with a loose housing. hope this helps.

Thanks for all and any help, I have a ride comming up this weekend and am weary of going until it gets tightned. For the short term I was just going to run a zip tie around the filter to an upper bolt in case it loosens more.

I will try to get the seat of though and look for the bolt!

If there are any other tricks let me know, Thanks

Do you guy's think it will hurt anything to go on the ride?

If you take off the lefthand side panel its easier to see the bolt, also remember it has a lefthand thread and the filter housing is soft alloy.

Back