free website stats program Fixing Valvetrain Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Fixing Valvetrain Noise

The valve train noise is caused by the lifter fit in the bore.It's located by a plastic "thing" and rotates a bit.It's normal (yeah I know) and won't hurt anything.Annoying as (heck) but OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately I have now developed a severe vibration. I noticed that at idle when warming up that the bike vibrates more than normal. I also notice as the RPMs increase so does the vibration. Any thoughts on what would cause this? It is getting worse the more I ride. I am contemplating replacing the tappets. Not completely sure that is the problem, but I am not too sure what to do next.

Cheers to all

On my 06 fatboy sometimes I hear it, other times I don't. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's really loud. Have not heard it the last few times I rode.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately I have now developed a severe vibration. I noticed that at idle when warming up that the bike vibrates more than normal. I also notice as the RPMs increase so does the vibration. Any thoughts on what would cause this? It is getting worse the more I ride. I am contemplating replacing the tappets. Not completely sure that is the problem, but I am not too sure what to do next.

Cheers to all
Check all the engine mounts for torque.Especially the upper mount.With the combination of noise and vibration the primary chain tension is suspect also.A loose pipe/heat shield can do the same thing.Sounds like you should "go over" the bike slowly and inspect everything.Let me know what you find.

Back