free website stats program First time HD buyer. (Custom Sportster) please help | Harley Davidson Forums

First time HD buyer. (Custom Sportster) please help

DWB81

Hello,
I'm actually hoping to get info and I guess for lack of a better term approval on a harley sportster that I'm looking at buying this weekend. I'm a first time Harley buyer (cruiser for that fact)
I've always owned crotch rockets before (Suzuki/Ducati). So I know very little about HD. I was hoping for your help on a bike (custom sportster) I'm looking to purchase. Below is the link to craigslist where I found the bike for sale. I'd appreciate any input you could give me.
Reviews, ideas, advice what to look out for, what it's worth, good or bad deal, so forth..
Thank you for your time.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/5567871264.html

IMO that is TOO much for a choped bobber, shop around some more you should be able to find a Dyna for that kind of money
That will be a rough ride with no rear shocks

I have to agree, you can find a much better bike for that kind of money,
Shop around, you can do much better for 7,000 dollars.

Take a minute and visit the new member intro section of the forum and introduce yourself.

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
But if you truly want to have a positive experience both with cruisers and especially Harleys you be better to take your $7,000.00 and look at newer and a un-hacked version of a sportster. I see nothing but headaches in your future with this one. Wonder why it is still for sale 16 days later?????????

You are getting some pretty good advice here. Since you're new to Harley why not go to the local dealer and see what they have on the floor in the used section. Sit on all the models and see what fits you. You might even want to take a test ride on several models since you're new to the brand. Here's another tip. When you are looking at pictures pay close attention and pick up as much detail as you can. In the tool bag on the front of the bike is that a pair of jumper cables?

After looking at the OP's profile which say's he rides a XLH1200 (said he never owned a Harley) and the CL ad is from Hawaii i'm curious if this is a real buyer or a seller looking for feedback on what the scoot might be worth. :eek:

Just an observation.

Last edited:
You are getting some pretty good advice here. Since you're new to Harley why not go to the local dealer and see what they have on the floor in the used section. Sit on all the models and see what fits you. You might even want to take a test ride on several models since you're new to the brand. Here's another tip. When you are looking at pictures pay close attention and pick up as much detail as you can. In the tool bag on the front of the bike is that a pair of jumper cables?
Good call Don, I am wondering if this bike is a recon and is it street legal, I do not see turn signals or a horn

Back