free website stats program First Time Fuel Problem...Help Please... | Harley Davidson Forums

First Time Fuel Problem...Help Please...

I have a problem that just developed on a ride home this evening. My check engine light and battery indicator lights were on while riding. I just got my bike back from my 1000 mile oil change and check up. While it was in the shop I also had a tach added--don't know if that is important or not to this situation. After I got home I shut the bike off, and when I tried to restart it by turning on the engine off/run switch the check engine light came on and went off as normal. BUT then the light came back on again, which is not normal, the battery indicator light was not on at this time. I went ahead and tried to turn on the start engine switch, but it would not start and there was a strange sound with ticking. The fuel pump--or at least that's what I think it was--sounded very strange when I first turned on the engine run switch--usually it just has a high pitch whine sound and then the check engine light goes out, but not this time. Can one of the experts online here help me??? I'm sure I will have to contact the dealership, but I am frustrated. The bike was running great up until now. I wonder why this had to happen after only having the bike back a couple days. Do you think the battery indicator light being on while I was riding tonight could have anything to do with any of this? My bike is a 2007 Dyna Super Glide Custom, and I have only had it since last October. As I said it has run like a champ until now. Thanks for any advice or help anyone can offer. --Buck

The battery indicator is low battery voltage.The Dynas seem to have an issue with the battery terminals coming loose.The engine light is a code,i.e. probably the low voltage.Pull the left sidecover and check the battery bolts.Don't overtighten them,just snug them up.Then try and start the bike.Should be OK.Oh and the fuel pump primes every time you turn the key on.

Fisher,

Thanks man. Glider also sent an email. This community is awesome! I check the code it was P0562 which indicated either "battery voltage low carb" and "battery voltage low EFI" not sure which one applies. When I got home I attached my battery charger. No after checking the code and having the charger on for an few minutes, it is firing right up and not more "check engine light". Do you think I just needed to charge the battery? I think I should also check the terminals, because I just had the tach installed. I rider almost every other day or so, so I did not think I needed to charge the battery, but I'm new at all this. Thanks --Buck

I take it that the battery being low would also affect the fuel pump from priming properly and the engine starting correctly???

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it that the battery being low would also affect the fuel pump from priming properly and the engine starting correctly???

Low battery voltage will cause systems on the bike to shut down and not operate. If the voltage drops below 9-10 volts the engine will not start as with most fuel injected vehicles.

I would also check out the charging system, to see if it is working properly.

Thanks for all the help Glider, but after getting the check engine code, I just didn't have the expertise to check the charging system. I left the trickle charge on for about 12 hours and thought I would try and ride the bike back to my dealership. I was only able to get about a mile when the battery indicator and check engine light came on again. Rather than get stuck somewhere on the road I returned home and called the dealership for a pickup of the bike. Unfortunately, because all the big shots at the dealership went to a bike event an took all the company trailers I can not get the bike picked up until next Monday. I am in limbo with a garaged bike that just returned from the dealership after a 1000 mile service--and a clean bill of health--right...it ran perfect before I took it in, but not now. AND, my dealership had no regard or forethought that a customer might need pickup service, and took all the bike trailors on a pleasure trip. I am not feeling good about the customer service at Mid Ohio Harley Davidson right now.

Thanks for the help...

Still waiting for the bike to be picked up on Monday. I hope to have an update on the problem early next week. Very frustrating to deal with this since the bike was running great before I took it to the dealership.

As it turns out, according to the dealership, I had a bad regulator. I was surprised by this as my bike was purchased new in October of 2007, and only has 1600 miles on it. I guess anything could happen, but my suspicious nature tells me that the dealership may still have done something wrong with the install of the tach that caused the problem. Guess I'll never know, and as long as everything is okay now, I guess I'll just be happy to have the bike back and in running order. --Buck

Fisher, I hope you will not leave the community. I read your post in one of the other threads. Guys like you are worth their weight in gold. I had no idea that you were an HD technician. Everyone gets frustrated from time-to-time when their bike is down. Don't take it personally. We would be lost without guys like you. I got my bike back and turns out the regulator was bad. I was upset with my dealership when everything was going down, because they could not transport my bike back to the shop because all the big shots had used the trailers to take their bikes out on a week long trek. I admit the techs get a lot of heat when things don't go just right in the eyes of the customer, but it's just like blaming the doctor when he can't find out what's making you feel sick...it's not fair, but it's human nature. Hope you'll stick around. Now that I know your one of the experts on here it would be nice to know I can give you a shout now and again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back