free website stats program Finned HeadBolt Bridge / Saddle Heat Shields | Harley Davidson Forums

Finned HeadBolt Bridge / Saddle Heat Shields

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Both were a quickie install with not a lot of pics so i figured might as well combine them

Here is what it looks like stock

budw1.jpg

Install the head bolt covers with the caps with 2 set screws in each tighten the set screws into the caps little tricky to tighten but can be down

budw2.jpg

Then install the bridge 2 screws go down though it if you install it with the allen wrench they sent you good luck .. I found it easiest to use a Allen Wrench on a 3/8 socket bit it was short enough to fit in there finger tighten then use the wrench they sent to tighten the rest of the way

budw3.jpg

Now on to the saddleshields

You have to install the nuts into the frame plate they send them to you as a crush nut where you install them .. pretty easy on the 08's pre 08 lot more involved by the instructions ..

budw4.jpg

The side Covers top screws are little hard to tighten but can be done the right side is the worst as you basically have to rub the cylinder fins the whole time unless you got a tiny hand

Now that i got them installed i notice when i add a oil gauge i will have to try to modify the shield to fit

budw5.jpg

budw6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post Bud, the bridges look good, I recently installed them on my Sporty as well. Didn't you have heat shields on your bike before...I heard late model tourers like the Ultras got pretty hot, but does the Road King also? :)

I didn't have them before but yes it got hot .. i think if i was one of them people that ride in shorts i would have sold it first time i was in traffic i was roasting in jeans on stop and go even when not stop and go it gets hot enough even passanger complains .. but most i have done this winter is to combat that

Nice job, I was thinking about putting them on my sportster, but was worried about if they could cause any problems. Have not seen them on many bikes around here. Youes look really good.

On my older model 2004 XL1200R carbureted, does not have "-par-broiled leg syndrome"; however I have heard the newer models '07 up run hotter due to leaner EPA mandated lean A/F mixture when fuel injection was introduced...

Ok...I just finished the installation of the Mid-Frame Air Deflectors (58022-07) on my '07 FLHTCU. The illustration (fig 3. fastener locations) is a bit confusing when you first look at it. The only way you would see it as illustrated would be if you had the motor removed from the frame. I really have three suggestions for anyone planning on installing the kit.

1. Before you leave the dealership (or at your local hardware store) pick up a 0.25-20 x .750 inch HEX HEAD bolt to replace the button-head screw provided in the kit (fig. 4, item 9 or Fig 3, location 1) to install on the right front attachment point. With the 96" motor, it is impossible to get an allen wrench behind the rocker box cover to tighten the button head screw provided in the kit! (see attached pic)

2. When installing the speed nuts (fig 4 item 2) reverse them on the strap so they slide on to the strap from the rear. It makes alignment of the strap so much easier.

3. Have a magnetic tool handy because you will undoubtedly drop the strap with the speed nuts attached and the U-clip for the rear of the left deflector several times during the install. It keeps the explicitives from reverberating from your garage and offending your neighbors on a Sunday morning.
:newsmile055:

Other than those little glitches it was a seemingly painless install and I am looking forward to a summer where I am not listening to the fat on the back of my thighs sizzling from the heat at a stop light.

Attachments

• Mid Frame Air Deflectors.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Harley 007.jpg
    Harley 007.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Harley 008.jpg
    Harley 008.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Harley 009.jpg
    Harley 009.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 198