free website stats program Feds say everyone should wear helmets ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Feds say everyone should wear helmets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how the Federal Govt claims to be worried about my safety yet they allow cagers to drive while on the phone & texting. What will they say about safety & statistics when a texting cager hits & kills a biker wearing a helmet? I'm all for freedom of choice. Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't. Sorry for the rant.:p

A better argument could be made for mandatory helmets if they could show that the increase in fatalities was specifically due to a preventable head injury. Some kid running into a tree at 50+mph on his crotchrocket isn't going to have a different outcome with a helmet on his head.

The increase in fatalities is a statistics game, a 'tool or game' I learned in graduate school. There are more fatalities because there are more bikes on the road. If they broke this down to a percentage based on the number of bikes divided by the number of accidents, they'd most likely find that nothings really changed. If there were 100 bikes and 15 fatalities, the fatality rate would be 15%. In the following year if there are 500 bikes and 30 fatalities, the government would say that fatalities went up 100% (from 15 to 30). But, the truth of the matter is that fatalities actually went down on a percentage basis from 15% to 6% (500/30). Statistics lie!!!

The increase in fatalities is a statistics game, a 'tool or game' I learned in graduate school. There are more fatalities because there are more bikes on the road. If they broke this down to a percentage based on the number of bikes divided by the number of accidents, they'd most likely find that nothings really changed. If there were 100 bikes and 15 fatalities, the fatality rate would be 15%. In the following year if there are 500 bikes and 30 fatalities, the government would say that fatalities went up 100% (from 15 to 30). But, the truth of the matter is that fatalities actually went down on a percentage basis from 15% to 6% (500/30). Statistics lie!!!
I believe in freedom of choice. Instead of our government embracing motorcycles as a form of alternate transportation, its still looked upon a social nuisance. You are more green friendly and accepted if paying for a overpriced hybrid or electric car then, you are accepted as trying to save the environment. Do not motorcycles fit into this catagory? We do not all have the means to purchase such vehicles which seems to be fad driven. Soooooo along with the hooligan actions of some bikers and the previous acts of government to ban certain bikes and now this noise legislation along with reintroduction of helmet issue it seems the governments motto is try, try, try again till it succeeds in controlling us motorcyclists into acceptance of acknowledging they know whats best for us.. :newsmile040::newsmile040:

More people were killed in car crashes in the state of Maine in the 1st year with the seatbelt law than the year before, but we still have a seatbelt law. Almost 1/3 of OUI deaths in North Carolina are from illegle immigrants but they don't send them back to their homeland or jail them but we "need" to wear a helmet ? How about they fix S./S. Medacare/welfare/USPS/Amtrack and everything else they've got in the "RED" before they tell us:42: what to do. I know I'd like to tell them what to do:bigsmiley10: Vote'm out

I agree with the gov. We all SHOULD wear them.
We also SHOULD stay out of airplanes, crosswalks, swimming pools, etc, etc.......
These things KILL

Hybrids seem OK now, but wait till the Fast and Furious crowd gets their hands on some big ( EDIT ) batteries!
Then we will all be as scared of a Prius as we are of a CHOPPER!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back