free website stats program Fatboy rear wheel spacer | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy rear wheel spacer

saintNH

I just put a new back tire on my 01 fatboy. After going over my work I realized I put the right side wheel spacer in backwards from the way it came out. It's in the correct spot, just flipped. Theres a groove near the edge of the spacer thats how i could tell. Does it matter? Do I need to take it apart again to flip it back? Thanks.
WAP.gif

Now I'm not sure. Looking at it again, I'm not sure if i did do it backwards after all. I marked them with a marker so this wouldn't happen but its hard to see that now. The groove in the left side spacer is on the inside and the groove on the right side spacer is on the outside. So looking at them both from behind, the grooves are both on the right side. Can anyone clear this up for me. Thanks.
WAP.gif

I don't have a manual for your year, but in my '94 manual it shows the grooves on the left spacer facing left. As long as the grooves are outboard of the seal or inboard enough so that the seal is on solid metal and not on a groove I don't think it will cause a problem.

The grooves are in from the edge of the spacer about 1/8". So I don't think it will be an issue, but I'd like to be sure. The manual doesn't say and the pictures don't show the grooves. It just says to note the orientation of the spacers when removing them. I marked them but the right side is hard to see now. Must have rubbed off. The left side is correct for sure because I was able to write LO for left outside on it because its much bigger than the other spacer. I just put a dot on the right side. I didn't see the grooves at first or I would have just noted that instead.
WAP.gif

I just found in the manual that it says to install spacers into hub with largest chamfered end facing away from the wheel. Doesn't say anything about the grooves in the spacer.
WAP.gif

My right side spacer is shorter and has no grooves.

Both of mine have grooves. But going by the manual, my left side spacer would have been in wrong before I took it apart. So I think I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and make sure both are facing the correct way now that I found the section where it says the chamfered edge should be facing away from the wheel.
WAP.gif

I know if it were me that would be my choice. It would bother me until I knew it was right. Next time it will be a snap.

I took it back apart this afternoon. The left side spacer is chamfered on both sides. The right side is chamfered only on one side. So I put them in with the grooves and chamfer(right side) facing away from the wheel, and now it is correct per the manual.
WAP.gif

Back