free website stats program Fat boy stuttering | Harley Davidson Forums

Fat boy stuttering

tucks

over the last couple of days when i went out on my fat boy it just started sort of stuttering and conking out theres loads of fuel in the im not sure what it is it happens when im riding can any one help please?

More info would be a big help what carb, ignition etc:p

Oh, I thought somebody was calling me out and wanted to talk about something? Sorry, I misunderstood the "Stutttering Fatboy" at the begiining.........:D

Bodeen

Oh, I thought somebody was calling me out and wanted to talk about something? Sorry, I misunderstood the "Stutttering Fatboy" at the begiining.........:D

Bodeen

A sensative Harley owner, a real rarity.:D:D

Low oil probably not, bad gas or sticky float in the carb, how do the plugs look?:s

its got a s and s carb could low oil be the problem?

Doubt it, but THAT is very easy to check, so I assume you already have.

The stuttering just came on suddenly, or have it be getting progressively worse?

I would check the following in this order:
  • Open up the gas tank and get an eyeball and a flashlight in there to see what is in the tank - any water in the bottom?
  • Find the float bowl drain on the S&S carb (is it an "E"?) and drain a pint or more into a clear glass jar so you can see what is coming out.
  • Do the procedure below to check for an intake leak
  • If draining the float bowl brought out some nasty stuff, then you are gonna have to disassemble the carb and clean it, AND drain the tank and clean it out and remove the petcock and clean the screen (or replace the whole thing would be better!)

Let us know what you find.

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

It just came on suddenly it was running absolutely fine i cleaned the plugs after the 1st time then they seemed to be fouled again after the 2nd time

As TQ says, sometimes the simplist thing like bad gas from a new untraveled gas station can pickup rust or water. Follow TQ's lead here, and check fueling system first, maybe even the vacuum line has a crack or broke if you have a petcock with shutoff diaphram. Look into simple stuff first...no need to go crazy, and disturbing things like plug wires and such can sometimes introduce more variables then help.

Back