free website stats program Fat Bob Front tire wearing bad ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fat Bob Front tire wearing bad ?

Forgetful1

Anyone else with A fat bob have this problem? My front tire is wearing choppy,
Dealer blamed low tire pressure, but i have been keeping it at around 36psi.
Just wanted to know if its the tire pattern that is the problem ? or what else it could be? oh and I got about 10 000 miles on it and the 09 bike.

thanks j

Anyone else with A fat bob have this problem? My front tire is wearing choppy,
Dealer blamed low tire pressure, but i have been keeping it at around 36psi.
Just wanted to know if its the tire pattern that is the problem ? or what else it could be? oh and I got about 10 000 miles on it and the 09 bike.

thanks j

Choppy usually is a tire or alignment issue inside and outside wear would be air pressure issue or if the center tread was worn badly over inflation, been doing Alignments for too many years and I know tire wear when I see it and can usually tell by looks and feel what the vehicle is going to need. There are a lot of bad tires out there right now, I think the manufacture is taking short cuts at our expense JMO

I wanted to just say that I stuck it out 10k on my 44mm Showa forks and was not very happy from the start. I had the clunk and got that fixed up. Then one leg started to leak at the seal a little. Enough that it would have a ring of road dirt where the fork seal would deposit it a few inches above the seal at rest.
I dumped that foul looking oil and installed a new seal, but in the process, I went by the book and measured carefully the recommended height of oil in my forks with the HD type E fluid. It takes a lot of oil, in fact I had to buy four bottles of it to fill to spec and have about a pint left over. Then after a test ride, I could not believe the difference. Everything seemed to work very well. A new front Dunlop and I cannot see any unusual wear at all after more than 5k.
I chalk it up to either the measurement of the oil that came in the forks or the oil itself. It is possible that original oil is Japanese fish oil, it did not look good. I wish I had measured the oil in each fork leg before installing new seals, but I just dumped it all out in a pan and after the fact wished I had, so I could know just what it was that made the action of my forks feel mushy and cause the tire to get choppy. Another thing I did not do was check the balance. I just had a new tire installed and balanced, but never checked the balance on the original tire to see if it was out. I keep my tire at recommended 36 psi too. Isn't hindsight great? :14:
So, Forgetful1, you could check the fork oil and the tire balance itself.

I wanted to just say that I stuck it out 10k on my 44mm Showa forks and was not very happy from the start. I had the clunk and got that fixed up. Then one leg started to leak at the seal a little. Enough that it would have a ring of road dirt where the fork seal would deposit it a few inches above the seal at rest.
I dumped that foul looking oil and installed a new seal, but in the process, I went by the book and measured carefully the recommended height of oil in my forks with the HD type E fluid. It takes a lot of oil, in fact I had to buy four bottles of it to fill to spec and have about a pint left over. Then after a test ride, I could not believe the difference. Everything seemed to work very well. A new front Dunlop and I cannot see any unusual wear at all after more than 5k.
I chalk it up to either the measurement of the oil that came in the forks or the oil itself. It is possible that original oil is Japanese fish oil, it did not look good. I wish I had measured the oil in each fork leg before installing new seals, but I just dumped it all out in a pan and after the fact wished I had, so I could know just what it was that made the action of my forks feel mushy and cause the tire to get choppy. Another thing I did not do was check the balance. I just had a new tire installed and balanced, but never checked the balance on the original tire to see if it was out. I keep my tire at recommended 36 psi too. Isn't hindsight great? :14:
So, Forgetful1, you could check the fork oil and the tire balance itself.

that is kinda what i thought it is a balance problem but dealer did not seem to think that or at least never offered that as a fix, progressive springs all around with the screaming eagle oil.

Lots of way to look at that word "Choppy". A repeated scallop every few inches would probably not be balancing. That bad of a balance you would feel. Pictures or detailed description of Choppy would help tell what the problem is.

Isnt that only for the touring bikes though i didnt think anything else used the 407 tire?

Dunlop had problems on some of their Elite tire models as well, but I have also seen tire cupping like this on Conti's and Bridgestones as well. :57:

Back