free website stats program Fall Away Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Fall Away Adjustment

mc2

Contributor
Did not find answer in the self help info or related threads, so:

Just installed new neck bearings on my 08 Fat Boy. Bike is on a lift and within 1/2 degree of level. The only thing on the front end are the tire, fender, and handlebars.

According the book, the front end will line up "a little off center." (They don't say which way, so I assume it can be either way.)
Does anyone have their definition of "little"?

I thought mine was more than a "little" to the right side (as sitting on the bike), maybe fifteen degrees + or -. From there I set it within the specified limits.

This is not something I've done often, or frequently. But, felt like I was snugging up on the adjustment "pretty" hard: not torqued, but beyond the point of any play in the front end.

Anybody have experience with this, and knowledge of consequences of improper adjustment?

Thanks

Consequences of over tightening is that the rollers can leave impressions in the cups, this will result in poor tracking at slower speeds, it will feel like it wants to wander. Some may say impossible but I have seen it before. You wont be able to tell when on a lift with the wheel on, but take the wheel off which removes weight, you would be able to feel that it feels "notchy" as you turn bars from side to side with the wheel off. Just my .02

My bike is an 08 softail custom, not the same front end but I'll share my experiences.

I think the fallaway adjustment outlined in the service manual is somewhat confusing, but a few things are to be important. Making sure the bike is nearly level, you have done, removing extra stuff from the bars you have done. Disconnect the clutch cable so there is no tension on it to the handle bars, I found this was critical for a proper adjustment on mine. loosen the upper and lower fork stem pinch bolts before your loosen or tighten the bearing adjuster.

According to the specs I never got mine right on, but close to the fallaway test. What seemed to have the most affect was the tightening on the bearing adjustment nut. I tightened mine 3 notches until all the deceleration wooble was gone, also tighten the fork stem nut to specs. Hope this helps Good luck!

My Dyna and my Electra fall away measurements are totally different. Your instructions seem to be yet another. I would say 1"-2" variation is good. Check again after some riding. That is my guess, and I've never done a 2008 Fatboy.

My bike is an 08 softail custom, not the same front end but I'll share my experiences.

I think the fallaway adjustment outlined in the service manual is somewhat confusing, but a few things are to be important. Making sure the bike is nearly level, you have done, removing extra stuff from the bars you have done. Disconnect the clutch cable so there is no tension on it to the handle bars, I found this was critical for a proper adjustment on mine. loosen the upper and lower fork stem pinch bolts before your loosen or tighten the bearing adjuster.

According to the specs I never got mine right on, but close to the fallaway test. What seemed to have the most affect was the tightening on the bearing adjustment nut. I tightened mine 3 notches until all the deceleration wooble was gone, also tighten the fork stem nut to specs. Hope this helps Good luck!

Hey gator508,
There is nothing attached to the handlebars. Did you start your fall away from a "little" off center?

The last time I packed the bearings, I had to much hooked to the handlebars by the time I remembered about the fall away adjustment. I tightened it just beyond free-play in the bearings. Bike rode fine and tracked well. Since I'm installing new bearings and have it stripped down, just thought I'd try going by the book. LOL
Going to double check it now and begin assembly.
Thanks.

Hey gator508,
There is nothing attached to the handlebars. Did you start your fall away from a "little" off center?

The last time I packed the bearings, I had to much hooked to the handlebars by the time I remembered about the fall away adjustment. I tightened it just beyond free-play in the bearings. Bike rode fine and tracked well. Since I'm installing new bearings and have it stripped down, just thought I'd try going by the book. LOL
Going to double check it now and begin assembly.
Thanks.

Hey mc2

It was pretty close after I disconnected the clutch cable, maybe about 1" off center to the left side. Like I said I never got it to specs but it sure rides better, all wobble is gone.

Back