free website stats program Fairing Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Fairing Removal

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
This is probably really obvious to 99% of the folks on here but when you're in a bit of a hurry, strange things can happen.

I was removing my outer fairing last week and when it was time to disconnect the wire to the headlight, I pulled and twisted and generally acted like a gorilla until I remembered and noticed the two tabs/clips you have to squeeze and then it comes right apart. I thought nothing of this until I was riding home from our local Mexican watering hole after dark Friday night. Holy cow! I had a great view of everything about 15 feet up in the trees off to the left side of the road. High beams were even worse.

Took the outer fairing off after dinner tonight and sure enough, the actual headlight housing was nowhere near flush/symmetrical - whatever you want to call it. I gently coerced it back into position and went for a ride and everything is back to normal.

I'm such a dork!

Re: Fairing Removal - Don't Do What I Did!

Sounds like you knocked the bulb out of the headlight bucket ot knocked the bucket out of position. :D

How hard did you push and pull to knock the headlight bucket out of position? Make sure the adjustment screws are back in their slots

This is probably really obvious to 99% of the folks on here but when you're in a bit of a hurry, strange things can happen.

I was removing my outer fairing last week and when it was time to disconnect the wire to the headlight, I pulled and twisted and generally acted like a gorilla until I remembered and noticed the two tabs/clips you have to squeeze and then it comes right apart. I thought nothing of this until I was riding home from our local Mexican watering hole after dark Friday night. Holy cow! I had a great view of everything about 15 feet up in the trees off to the left side of the road. High beams were even worse.

Took the outer fairing off after dinner tonight and sure enough, the actual headlight housing was nowhere near flush/symmetrical - whatever you want to call it. I gently coerced it back into position and went for a ride and everything is back to normal.

I'm such a dork!

So you are the reason for the unexplained lights in the midnight sky everybody keeps seeing! hahahaha! Glad ya got back together doc!!

Sounds like you knocked the bulb out of the headlight bucket ot knocked the bucket out of position. :D

I'm pretty certain I knocked the bucket out of position. I just didn't know that's what it was called! Bulb looks and works fine now that the bucket's back in its original position.

How hard did you push and pull to knock the headlight bucket out of position? Make sure the adjustment screws are back in their slots

One side of the bucket was probably 1/4 inch out of wack. Amazing what that little amount does multiplied by 100 feet down the road! I will check the adjustment screws tomorrow. Thanks.

You get the same results if the bulb twists in the bucket. There's tabs on the bulb that have to seat in a certain position or it will be way out of alignment.

Well, I took mine off today, and just wanted to say thanks!

After reading your post, I decided I'd better read the "self help" sections, as I have never had it off before.

Everything went smooth, and I got my J&M speakers installed. I was also worried about the screw length that you had posted about in another thread. The istructions said replace the shorter bottom screws with the ones supplied, so I went to the shed and found a couple of washers to use. Then, after I took everything out of the box, there were no screws included! Used the originals, and worked just fine.

So even though you had some uggghhhh moments with yours, you were acctually quite helpful to me!

Thanks Doc!

Well, I took mine off today, and just wanted to say thanks!

After reading your post, I decided I'd better read the "self help" sections, as I have never had it off before.

Everything went smooth, and I got my J&M speakers installed. I was also worried about the screw length that you had posted about in another thread. The istructions said replace the shorter bottom screws with the ones supplied, so I went to the shed and found a couple of washers to use. Then, after I took everything out of the box, there were no screws included! Used the originals, and worked just fine.

So even though you had some uggghhhh moments with yours, you were acctually quite helpful to me!

Thanks Doc!

I feel better already!!

I had the front fairing off of my 2010 Ultra for the first time yesterday. I never did figure out how to get that headlight connector off, and ended up removing the spring wire which holds the thing in place. This was the hardest part of my whole adventure. And yes... I do own the service manual which said "Remove the headlight connector" but didn't say anything about squeezing it. Next time I get in there I will give that a try. Thank you for your post!

When taking yuur front faieing off , put socks over the large spots lights ,will keep from
Straching the fairing when you removed it.
Jim Welch
Roll Tide!!!

Back