free website stats program Fair prices, or rip off? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fair prices, or rip off?

Sounds pretty close. Remember you are getting a custom map. It doesn't matter what canned map it starts out with, they have build you a custom map. They must run it at different RPMs to set the A/F for those RPMs. Also, idle, timing, etc.... No shortcuts. I went with the SEST and have no complaints. That money is gone, only satisfaction remains; my bike runs fantastic. No backfires, no sputtering, runs cool, starts immediately, averaged 47 mpg over a 5000 mile trip with a passenger and heavy gear load. I have no regrets.

My only complaint, they smoked my rear rotor. Must have left the saddlebags on and didn't point enough fans at it.

Sounds pretty close. Remember you are getting a custom map. It doesn't matter what canned map it starts out with, they have build you a custom map. They must run it at different RPMs to set the A/F for those RPMs. Also, idle, timing, etc.... No shortcuts. I went with the SEST and have no complaints. That money is gone, only satisfaction remains; my bike runs fantastic. No backfires, no sputtering, runs cool, starts immediately, averaged 47 mpg over a 5000 mile trip with a passenger and heavy gear load. I have no regrets.

My only complaint, they smoked my rear rotor. Must have left the saddlebags on and didn't point enough fans at it.

+1,For a custom map and operators that know what their doin....4-5 hrs seems to be right.

I spoke with a (semi)local dealer a few days ago, and the tech quoted me minimum 4 hours for a dyno tune, so it seems that you're okay.
As far as the 1K service goes, I've always thought it was a rip off, since everything they do in the 1K service is very simple to do at home.

Detroit Harley charges $79/hr or $279 MAX for a Dyno tune. But there is a local shop that is an authorized Harley repair center that not only has 1-2 day turn around, but charges much less for parts and labor. (This is not out of trying to steal business from dealers, but out of love for bikes, and brethren) Shop around a bit. IMO the only time a bike should be on a dyno for anywhere near that long, is if you are having them do a break in on a new bike. (where they should be babying it for the first 350 miles or so anyway)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

They actually came to the house and picked my bike up in an enclosed trailer.

I got it back yesterday.

I had provided Amsoil 20w50 V twin oil and Spectro 6 speed trans oil.

As everyone has stated, the Spectro 6 speed oil has made a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the trans. No more clunck and definitly smoother shifting, I am sold on it...

The final dyno sheet showed numbers of 72.40 hp, 84.32 tq from a baseline run of 64.81 hp and 76.21 tq.

This was at 75 f, 27.84 and 28 % humidity..

All that would equate to density altitude of about 6400 ft MSL...

Dealer was expensive, but they have some pretty good folks working there and they did some extra things on my bike without out charging for it..

Cams next :)

Back