free website stats program exhaust advice?? | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust advice??

ot_tiger

I have a 2002 XL1200. It has the stock exhaust on it right now. i want something that's going to make it sound better(that harley sound). I'm not really interested in improving performance, but I don't want anything that is going to be bad for my bike. I would really like to get something that is not too expensive. I know drag pipes are cheaper, but I'm not sure if I should get them or not. I would really appreciate any help anybody can give me.

I guess it really depends on your taste. See, for me, I like a nice deep rumble that a set of Rhinehart Slip On Mufflers will give you. I don't like obnoxious loud, but some guys do. At any rate, whatever you do, I would definatly get a highflow air cleaner and jet the carb. It will keep your gas mileage good and stop the bike from back firing and running poorly.

I have a set of Screamin Eagle II mufflers on my 1200 and they sound great! I got them used from a friend for $75 and he tossed the baffles so I didn't have a choice to either have the baffles in or out. I'm pretty sure I would have come to the conclusion of leaving them out.:D My bike sounds better than most of the "big" bikes. Everyone loves the sound of my bike. Anyone who has ever heard a 1200 with the SE II muffs. w/o the baffles will tell you the same thing. :bigsmiley12:

I had an 03 1200C, and put on Cycle Shack slip ons. I picked them up on Ebay new but cheap. I re jetted the carb, put a K&N filter on, and WOW!
That bike really woke up, and everyone I rode with commented on how good it sounded. They really didnt believe I had the cheapest set up I could get.
It had a deep throaty rumble, and the potato potato sound that really says Harley.

They did have baffles in them, but just enough to give them back pressure. At low throtle, they were not obnoxious like drag pipes.

Hey StoveBolt...sounds like ya took my ride and read my mind for advice!!! Actually, I have straight 1 3/4 Drag pipes which were straight thru, but loud and high a slight metallic ring that would set off alarms on my street, so I put short baffles about 3" from the end and it still has the loud rumble, but not as much "ring"..."Can you hear me now..."?:bigsmiley12:

Last edited:
I've got an 05 1200R with Rush 1.75 slash down slip-ons. They sound awesome and look great!! Nice tone and not overly loud. Perfect for me.

Last edited:
I second the Cycle Shack slip-ons. They really give you the Harley sound...and a bit of bark when you crank it on.

Re: exhaust advice?? still pondering!!!!!!!!!!

Would I be better off getting Cycle Shack or Sombodys slip ons instead of putting on the drag pipes? Will I still have to rejet? Are the slip ons as loud as the drag pipes?
Thanks

Animal

Back