free website stats program excessive front brake lever travel | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

excessive front brake lever travel

Pull the front calipers and clean around the pistons. Pump the brake lever (one caliper at a time off) and clean around the pistons while you excersize the pistons in and out a few times. Clean liberally with brake cleaner solvent and replace the pads. Do the same to the other front caliper.

Bleed any air from hydraulic system if there is any. Top off the master cyclinder and re-check lever throw. Should be good to go. If not, install a rubber band around throttle grip and brake lever (as to apply the brakes) and leave it this way overnight.

Out of round rotors can cause it as well but 99.9% of the time it's the grime, dust and road build up binding the caliper pistons. :bigsmiley28:

Guys, listen.A dead blow hammer will not hurt those rotors.A dead blow is a plastic hammer filled with shot.The rotors are probably only a few thousands out of running true anyway,but it is enought to make you have to pump that lever to get a decent brake.I have great brakes now and have never had a decent brake after pads, master cyl,etc. If you check the runout and it is excessive get new rotors if you desire but make sure ,after installation ,they run true. I just got fed up with the (EDIT) that I would have to LIVE WITH mediocre front brakes on a $28,000.00 bike.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

A few thousands? what is H D spec? Iwould be its around .008 imo is too much and Whacking it with a Deadblow may have worked for you, no offense here but i would only whack HD flywheels on a truing stand. I have been doing brake work and teaching it for a lot of years and with too much runout you will never get enough out by machining or whacking with a hammer and remember rotors can have memory in them and the runout can rear its ugly head again I would just replace the rotors and pads and call it a day, but what ever works for you:14:

Since truing,with a dead blow hammer,the one rotor I've put in excess of 2000 miles on the bike and I still have a great brake up front-the first time in 6 years and numerous trips to Harley Davidson, money,money,money and a seeming barrel of brake fluid

well, i took the calipers off'n the rk and cleaned everything thoroughly as per the forum advice. wonder of wonders. i had little if any braking and the pistons didn't move much. i now have almost an inch between the lever and the grip when the brakes are locked. they are rock solid with no fade in the lever. took the bike out in front of the house for a few quick stops per service manual advice. front only stop from 30 is very good. who would've a thunk it. dirt. sorry i ever doubted you guys. my most sincere apologies to all.

Glad you got your front brake back and that you posted your results.

You will save someone else from heading down the wrong path.

G...glad you got it sorted. If the front brakes cannot be howled (haul down your bike to almost a stoppie with the back end getting light and 1/2" at least between the grip and lever, you know you have enough for that emergency squeeze and don't jump on the brakes for about every situation. ABS should only help, not from the lever travel, but the slight pulsing you feel should tell you everything is fine, if so equipped.

well, i took the calipers off'n the rk and cleaned everything thoroughly as per the forum advice. wonder of wonders. i had little if any braking and the pistons didn't move much. i now have almost an inch between the lever and the grip when the brakes are locked. they are rock solid with no fade in the lever. took the bike out in front of the house for a few quick stops per service manual advice. front only stop from 30 is very good. who would've a thunk it. dirt. sorry i ever doubted you guys. my most sincere apologies to all.
Had the same problem on my 2010 Ultra, Had one stuck piston. Guess these Brembro Calipers are not all that. Glad you are all fixed.

Back