free website stats program EVO tappet slotted plug snapped off!! | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO tappet slotted plug snapped off!!

JBC2565

I was changing my fluids and cleaned out my tappet screen as well. Slotted plug was a little loose with tool so bought a new one from the dealer(part #26263-80) to keep it nice and tight with the tool for easy removal. Put plug back in (by hand at first) then with torque wrench. Was waiting for 90-120 in-lbs when the top of the plug sheared off!!! Looked at digital torque wrench
and yes, it was set at ft-lbs. But still, I didn't crank on it very hard. Thinking it was a weak part.
Anyway, tried to back it out with sheared top (see if it would "grab" it and back it out). No luck. Looking for ideas or help because I know I don't want a bunch of metal shavings floating around in this area.
I didn't gouge the crank threads, just popped the top of the plug off.
Should I stop and take her in or do you have any suggestions for me to try?
Thanks for the help and you can bet I won't make that mistake with my torque wrench again.

I'm wondering if a drill and an easy-out would work? I would think the screen underneath the plug would catch any metal.

Is it broken off below the case? My first try would be to grind or file a slot in the top of what is left, and try to turn it out with an impact driver or screw driver and hammer. Since there is very little room on top to get a drill and drill motor in you will have to have a right angle attachment to start a hole so that you can get an easy out started, if the above fix doesn't work.

Here is a pic of slotted plug and hole in crank case.
I was thinking the same thing Don. Make a notch on the top of the plug in hole and bang it out with a hammer and screwdriver. I was just wondering if anybody else had any ideas because I need to be careful backing the plug out. Don't want to kill my crank case.

Old plug on right. Snapped one off is on left. Clean smooth break.
002.jpg

003.jpg

I like Don's idea of trying the slot first. After that it appears drilling it all the way through and an ez-out may be the ticket.

By looking at the second picture I'm wondering if there's enough to grind a slot in it. Looks like it's below the case. Do you have a Dremel with the wand attachment? They come in handy for tight spots.

Looks to me like what you have is just the threads lodged in the hole. If that is the case I think all you may need is an EZ out that fits into the threaded tube, I find that the square ones that are sold at sears do a prety good job when you dont have to go really deep. probably gonna destroy the tappet screen in the process, but thats a small price to pay......

Looks to me like what you have is just the threads lodged in the hole. If that is the case I think all you may need is an EZ out that fits into the threaded tube, I find that the square ones that are sold at sears do a prety good job when you dont have to go really deep. probably gonna destroy the tappet screen in the process, but thats a small price to pay......

If you are real steady, a pin punch and a hammer should start it walking out

Thanks Guys!! Got it out. Took off the exhaust (the crossover was getting in the way) and gave me good access to the tappet hole. Thought I needed to take off air cover and mounting bracket but looking through my tool box I saw the tool I needed. My grandfather was a metal worker that came to this great country from Scotland to work on the B-25 Mitchell in Texas during WWII. Long story short, meet my grandmother..moved to Michigan and had my father..and Uncle. Grandpa passed away in 1991 and the family was dividing his huge tool box.
I picked up a pair of pliers that caught my eye as useful. I have never used them in the 21 years I've had them until this afternoon. Pliers that have a 45' bend to them with "filing" marks on the outside and when squeezed, the pliers expand to the outside, and with the file grooves..caught my tappet bottom and twisted out smooth as butter. Grandpa was smiling down today.
Thought I needed a new crank case and got a breather.
Thanks for the ideas and thanks Grandpa for having the tool so many years ago.

Back