free website stats program Evo oil pressure sending unit | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo oil pressure sending unit

Deathhog

Can anyone tell me the hole size for the oil sending unit on a 86 Evo? Mine is stripped out. I found a postroe a twin cam and they told the guy 1/4" NTP. Is it the same for the EVO? I'll probably have to go one size lager and add a reducer. Or is tapping with a SAE and plugging it a beter option? Opinions welcome...Thanks.

Just wondering out loud, but couldn't you just use a 1/8" npt plug and just run without the sending unit?

Evo and twin cam oil pressure hole's are both 1/8" npt, but the location is different, so the sending units may not interchange. If I was going to tap into the case, I would stuff a small rag saturated with grease into the hole, then a dab of grease on top of the rag. The rag and grease will catch alum. shavings.
Make sure you have tweezers or small needle nose pliers that will reach into the hole before you stuff the rag in. Don't run the tap too far in.

If it were me I would NOT tap into the case. If it don't fit buy a NPT reducer adapter they are plentiful.

The way I read the o.p. was that the threads in the case were stripped. Maybe it was the threads on the unit.

The way I read the o.p. was that the threads in the case were stripped. Maybe it was the threads on the unit.

Oh well then I mis read it. I thought he had a size issue. If he has stripped threads in the crank then yes he should use your solution. And if tweezers don't work get some rebar wire and bend a short hook in it in and stick it in the hole and twist it around till it catches the rag.

I would stuff the hole full of grease too before I drilled and again before I tapped. And as a matter of fact, I would try this BEFORE the tweazers or the wire hook. I would hook up a shop vac and stick to the crank case to suck the rag and everything else out.

Back