evo heads

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by dynaroman, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dynaroman

dynaroman New Member

hi i got a 1996 dyna , had it for a year now, and done the usual mods.
    Andrews 46 cam,
    Hooker pipes,
    S.E air fitter,Ignition Module,Performance Coil,
    JE 10.5:1 compression pistons,
    Mikuni HSR-42

Now it come to the heads, i had a mate do a 5 dergee angle valve job. the question is now is it worth getting performance valves or S.E heads. and if i do how will it effect low, mid range power.

I mate of mine said if i get performance valve or S.E heads it take away low mid range power and moves it to the high end range is this right.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Except for the s.e. ign. (I used dynatek),I have the same mods done to my '92 Dyna. I did change the ev46 for an ev5 later. IMO there are a lot better heads for the price than S.E.. I bought Edelbrock Performer heads when they first came out and have been pleased with them. If you get too much head like Edelbrock RPM, your low end may suffer. I liked the idea of having a stock set of heads for fall back. Used Evo heads can be had for reasonable prices, and talk to a shop that has experience, like Branch or Gerlomy. Tell them what you want for perf.. Bigger ain't always better, especially with cams and ports.

3. dynaroman

dynaroman New Member

did you find much different in the ev5 than the 46

4. jammerx

jammerx Member

I purchased a set of branch evo heads and those with a Competition Cams 3050, I was impressed. The guys at branch were cool and very helpful. If you can by his little book do it....

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

========================================================
    I noticed more overall power, not a huge amount. I was surprised that my low end did not suffer. The reason I changed was the front exh. lifter bearings went bad. Scored the cam badly. I only had a few thousand miles on the cam. One other difference, I used Bub Bad Dog pipes instead of the ones you have. I noticed the diff, after I posted.