free website stats program engine stops running | Harley Davidson Forums

engine stops running

Zang Jr

I have a 05 Road King with fuel injection. Last week, I was slowly accelerating in 3rd gear and the motor stopped, the speedo showed the battery light. I coasted to a stop, pushed the start button and it ran just fine.
I checked / cleaned the ground wires under the seat, they looked good.
Yesterday when starting it cranked over fine but took several seconds to fire up and backfired. It started like normal later that day and I rode it 30 miles home.
Normally this machine fires up instantly, it has a thunder max with auto tune, and gear drive cams and runs perfect.
Any thoughts on how to diagnose the motor stop issue ?

I did not check for codes, I don't know if the Thunder Max ECM keeps codes like the factory computer. I need to check more connections.

Can you i stall OEM ECM to see if symptoms go away?
I have heard the Thunder Max can act up and have your bikes symptoms.

Sorry for the slow reply, but installing the stock ECM is not possible with the cams and exhaust. My battery went dead after the bike sat for a week last Friday the 15th. I bought a Harley battery the next day and it holds a full charge after 3 days sitting. Perhaps the 1.5 year old Advanced Auto Parts battery was shorting out ? I will never buy any battery other than a Harley battery again.

Back