free website stats program Engine skip or "Bucks" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine skip or "Bucks"

I'm wondering if maybe the ignition coil may be showing early signs of failure? With 40,000+ miles on her, sounds like all is ok at cold start-up and begins to "buck" when warmed up to operating temps, it's a possibility, eh?

Good point and idea. I am going to check / clean or replace the IAC this weekend and since I will have the tank off iwill go ahead and replace the coiland plug wires to boot.

Take a look here, this is what you'll need to vent outside and avoid the oily junk entering the engine and clogging the IAC. I don't use anything to catch the drippings and have never had a drop on the ground.

This was a post from dolt. I did mine like this with a few changes, it's an easy fix to eliminate the oilily mist that is circulated back into the engine.

Venting to the atmosphere will minimize carbon build up as has been pointed out. You didn't mention if you are still running the OEM air filter and backing plate. If you are, you have some work to do.

If you have not upgraded to the SE Stage I A/C, you will need one of the SE kits depending on the T/B size; IIRC, the Dynas are equipped with a 50mm T/B but not sure. There are two kits, PN 29515-08 for the 58mm T/B and PN 29260-08 for the 50mm T/B. You will need to drill and tap the backing plate for barbed fittings for hoses to route the crank case ventilation away from the T/B to an external exit. You will also need to block off the internal breather passages in the backing plate.

As others have pointed out, there are a variety of ways to route the hoses to an external exit but most use a "T" fitting to connect the two breather hosed behind the air cleaner housing and route a single hose to a catch can or an external exit.

On one bike, I made a catch can from PVC pipe and filled it with the same mesh that is used in the cylinder head breathers. The crank case mist is vented to this can and the "wet" stuff collects on the mesh allowing the crankcase pressure to vent out of the can to a single hose that is routed between the cylinders and out to the same location as the transmission vent. A small in line fuel filter for lawn mowers is plugged into the end of the vent hose at the exit. I have never seen a drip from that system and have never drained any fluid from the catch can.

(Disclaimer) I may not always be right but at least I tried. 05 Ultra Classic 95 ci.

Yes it has been upgraded to the S E Stage 1 A/C. That was one of the things I checked before I bought the bike.
I like the idea of venting the CCV externally. Sounds like I got plenty to keep me occupied thiis weekend.

Thanks

Let me say this. I really appreciate the comments, suggestions and links you guys have posted here. I am an old EVO owner. This is my first Twin Cam engine and i just bought this one two months ago. Still learning the ropes of T C. I am also new to this site and so far I see this as a great site, packed full of great information and great people who are more than willing to help each other out. Y'all have been a blessing for sure. Thank you all. I'm glad I found this site and believe I am really going to enjoy being here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it has been upgraded to the S E Stage 1 A/C. That was one of the things I checked before I bought the bike.
I like the idea of venting the CCV externally. Sounds like I got plenty to keep me occupied thiis weekend.

Thanks

Seeing you already have the proper backing plate the rest of the job is easy. When doing mine I used the existing banjo bolts instead of the barbed fittings. I removed them and drilled a slightly larger hole down the center for better flow.

Next I made a quick trip to the auto store and purchased some rubber tube and a T fitting.
Slide the hose on each end of the banjo/barbed fittings and run to the T fitting. Run another line of hose from the T fitting down under your scoot along the frame and tie off with plastic ties (don't pull to tight to crimp off the hose) All the tubing and T fitting are hidden behind the air cleaner for a clean look.
Reassemble the air cleaner and your done.

Good site. Great inventory. I saved the site. Thanks for the link.
Came across his website last week, while browsing Craigslist for parts for my Sporty. Sent him a message on a wheel and he got back to me right after 7:00 p.m. by phone EDT. Seems to be dedicated to his customers.

thumbnail_IMG_0132Jeff 1.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0133 Jeff2.jpg IMG_0131.JPG

This is how I vented mine, it works great and my throttle body is nice and clean

Last edited by a moderator:
Back