free website stats program Engine quits | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine quits

Riverrat

I have an 02 Electra Glide Classic (carb) and during ride Tuesday the engine lost power and quit five times in 200 miles. Acts like it runs out of gas and after sitting a short time will start again. Checked fuel filter, plugs, wiring, swapped relays around, eveything looks good. This has happened in the past but would only stop once and then keep going. I don't know how to check for codes on this model, any ideas? Wife says get rid of it, don't trust it. Please help.

I have an 02 Electra Glide Classic (carb) and during ride Tuesday the engine lost power and quit five times in 200 miles. Acts like it runs out of gas and after sitting a short time will start again. Checked fuel filter, plugs, wiring, swapped relays around, eveything looks good. This has happened in the past but would only stop once and then keep going. I don't know how to check for codes on this model, any ideas? Wife says get rid of it, don't trust it. Please help.

Glider sent you the link about the engine dying when the fuel tank starts going down. Can happen even if the tank has gas in it depending on where the plastic fuel hoses are inside the tank.

This problem has happened to me several times on my '03 UC. This is not an extremely difficult project, just remember you are working around an open tank of gasoline. Also, if you find that the plastic hoses do indeed have holes in them, I suggest using a more robust hose as a replacement. I went with high-pressure reinforced fuel injector hose from an auto supply store. Won't have to worry about that problem again!!

TQ

I thought the fuel tank issue was only related to fuel injection. He has a carbed bike. Is it the same fuel pump on carbed models?

I thought the fuel tank issue was only related to fuel injection. He has a carbed bike. Is it the same fuel pump on carbed models?

I think ProF is absolutely right on this. I think the carberated bikes are gravity fed from the tank, and that there is NO fuel pump. My mistake. See here:

Fuel System Troubleshooting - Harley Davidson Community

However, from your description, it still seems like a fuel problem, although we should eliminate NO SPARK problem. So the next time the bike quits like this, pull over, jump off and pull the wires off the plugs. Make sure the bike is in neutral, and crank it over holding each wire to a good ground (not the spark plug, and definitely nothing that has fuel in it!!) and look for spark. Might have to put something metal (like a 1/4-20 bolt) in the plug end of the wire to see the spark clearly. If both wires are sparking - GREAT!!

So if it is NOT spark, then back to fuel problems. Get a small flashlight and your eyeball in your tank and look towards the fuel port as much as possible. Is there a bunch of crap in the tank including water?

Close the valve on the tank and get another hose to drain the gas from the tank. Collect about a pint in a glass jar. Hows it look?

Drain the tank and take off the valve and strainer. How does that look? Clean everything up, or replace the strainer if possible and reinstall.

If you have the Keihin CV carb (if not, skip all this), drain some of the fuel from the float bowl into your glass jar. (See here: Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community) How does that look? Here is some good stuff on those carbs:

Keihin (CV) Carburetor Info - Harley Davidson Community
*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

If none of this has helped, let us know and we will go back to the drawing board (self-help section).

TQ

You're right, missed that!

Sorry about the bad info.
I drained the tank and checked the strainer, both clean. I tried the code process that Glider provided. Not sure if I am doing it right or not. Engine light stayed on for a couple of seconds and then started flashing. Flashes fast so I think that I counted somewhere between 11 and 12 flashes without a pause. Codes show MAP or TPS issue? I haven't tried the spark check cause as soon as the engine quit and I got off the road, it would start back up. This issue seems to be intermittent and I can ride for weeks with no problem and all of a sudden it happens and usually, not always, I'm accelerating.

I think ProF is absolutely right on this. I think the carberated bikes are gravity fed from the tank, and that there is NO fuel pump. My mistake. See here:

Fuel System Troubleshooting - Harley Davidson Community

However, from your description, it still seems like a fuel problem, although we should eliminate NO SPARK problem. So the next time the bike quits like this, pull over, jump off and pull the wires off the plugs. Make sure the bike is in neutral, and crank it over holding each wire to a good ground (not the spark plug, and definitely nothing that has fuel in it!!) and look for spark. Might have to put something metal (like a 1/4-20 bolt) in the plug end of the wire to see the spark clearly. If both wires are sparking - GREAT!!

So if it is NOT spark, then back to fuel problems. Get a small flashlight and your eyeball in your tank and look towards the fuel port as much as possible. Is there a bunch of crap in the tank including water?

Close the valve on the tank and get another hose to drain the gas from the tank. Collect about a pint in a glass jar. Hows it look?

Drain the tank and take off the valve and strainer. How does that look? Clean everything up, or replace the strainer if possible and reinstall.

If you have the Keihin CV carb (if not, skip all this), drain some of the fuel from the float bowl into your glass jar. (See here: Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community) How does that look? Here is some good stuff on those carbs:

Keihin (CV) Carburetor Info - Harley Davidson Community
*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

If none of this has helped, let us know and we will go back to the drawing board (self-help section).

TQ
I pulled the air cleaner (stock) and found that when I twist the throtlle, little to no fuel is pumped into the throat. Now I'm fairly sure that it's a fuel issue. I'll pull the bowl tomorrow and check the jets, hope this works.

I pulled the air cleaner (stock) and found that when I twist the throtlle, little to no fuel is pumped into the throat. Now I'm fairly sure that it's a fuel issue. I'll pull the bowl tomorrow and check the jets, hope this works.

While you are at it, take the accelerator pump apart and make sure it is not full of crap, and that the diaphram is OK there too.

TQ

Back