free website stats program engine oil / in transmission? | Harley Davidson Forums

engine oil / in transmission?

yabass

i am replacing the oil in my transmission but noticed when I drained it more that 24 oz came ou. Oil tank is almost empty. When I left the drain plug for the transmission off and poured oil into the oil tank it seems to run out the bottom drain plug?? am I nuts? What could be wrong?

HD86XLH004.gif

#58 is your transmission drain plug, your oil tank for engine oil is on the right side of the bike, there should be a black rubber hose with a clamp pointing straight down, it fits on a post, that is your oil drain

If it is a 4 speed gearbox should be 38 oz in the trans if a 5 speed gearbox then 32 oz by 1993 all sportsters were 5 speed and had belt drive the 5 speed box was introduced in 1990 in some models
Drin plug for trans is to the rear of the primary and there is a level plug part way up the rear of the primary when oil starts to come out the plug you have correct amount of oil when draining and filling the bike should be upright the oil is shared between the primary and gearbox
Engine oil drain pipe is secured to a bung by a clip the bung is located on the underside of the battery tray

Brian

Back