free website stats program Engine Oil Drain Plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Oil Drain Plug

SoonerSoftail

I just picked up a 05 Heritage Classic with 5900 miles. Thought changing the oil would be a good idea since I know nothing about the previous owner. The drain plug is TIGHT. I've put leverage on it to the point that the hex socket gets stuck in the plug and has to be backed off slightly to get it back out. Experience tells me this is on the way to stripping out. I've been soaking it with penetrating oil, thought about running the engine for a while and cooling the plug with freeze-it or ?.

Anybody have any other suggestions before I go back at it?

I've put leverage on it to the point that the hex socket gets stuck in the plug and has to be backed off slightly to get it back out. Experience tells me this is on the way to stripping out. I've been soaking it with penetrating oil, thought about running the engine for a while and cooling the plug with freeze-it or ?.

Use a quality socket on the outside of the hex, it sounds like you are using the allen in the center of the plug when you say it gets stuck "IN" the plug.

Put the wrench on the plug and give it a shot with your hand.If you have a 6 point socket or wrench, it would be best.
Remember which way it is to loosen the drain as you are upside down now.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 05 Heritage Classic with 5900 miles. Thought changing the oil would be a good idea since I know nothing about the previous owner. The drain plug is TIGHT. I've put leverage on it to the point that the hex socket gets stuck in the plug and has to be backed off slightly to get it back out. Experience tells me this is on the way to stripping out. I've been soaking it with penetrating oil, thought about running the engine for a while and cooling the plug with freeze-it or ?.

Anybody have any other suggestions before I go back at it?

What???? Sure you are on the drain plug? See here:

Changing Your Oil (drain plugs) - Harley Davidson Community

If it really is that hard, lean the bike WAY over on something so you can get a real good look at that plug and make sure it has NOT been tacked for some reason (can't imagine why, but who knows!!)

Just saw Glider's response, and that makes sense if you were trying to use an Allen wrench on the center of the plug, it may be too tight for that to work. As Glider says, use a six point socket and see if that will get it!

TQ

Last edited:
I had the opposite problem last weekon a friends R/G. The plug was so loose I am suprised that it didn't vibrate out. The filter was another story. It was so tight that I thought that I might twist the filter adapter off. Is your engine hot when you are trying to get the plug out, that might make the difference.

OK. I've seen the plugs (like on the primary/trans of a Sporty that have a plug with both a regular type nut with an allen type recessed into it also). This is not one of those. The only opening on the bottom of the motor is an allen type plug, the end of which is flush with the bottom ot the motor.

On my softtail springer 03 a thin wall 3/4 socket will also fit.. it is flush and an allen head whench fits and the thin wall socket also will just slide into the opening.

STOP!! You are taking out the wrong plug. The plug is under the transmission. There are tree plugs. The first plug closest to your right foot is the trans drain. The middle plug is not used unless your installing a oil temp guage and the last plug is the enginge oil drain plug. Leave that plug under the engine alone, you can do serious damage to the engine case. You better get yourself a service manual and check out the self help section.
kemo

Kemo is correct, it sounds like you are pulling the simp plug on the motor. That's not where you drain the oil from.

TQ posted a picture of what to look for , did you look at that?

Buy a manual before you do some damage.

This is what you are looking for to drain the engine oil.

STDrain-Plug-2.jpg

The trans drain you'll find up between the shocks.

OK I got it now. And many thanks. And yes, a factory manual is already on order. I'm feeling really stupid. Even after 7 years of owning a Sporty and knowing it top to bottom logic still prevailed and seeing an opening on the bottom of the motor seemed right. WRONG. I knew where the primary drain and the transmission drain were. I should have known that the motor drain would be by the back tire, just like on a Sporty.

Don't beat yourself up...as with anything new, when taking on do it yourself maintenance, it helps to look into the details and if you have any questions ask, we are here. The HDTimeline forum was based on the simple premise that when you went to the MOCO website...there was no information at all regarding maintenance or customer service. Now at least they do have a phone line for questions...albiet not technical ones...they will tell you where the nearest HD dealer is or what new Motorclothes or Accessories to buy though...:D

Last edited:
Back