free website stats program Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts

Having isolated the particular wire I can see why considering info in other posts. The tie strap appears tight and that particular wire is coming out at almost 45 degrees. The break has to be right there at the bend...

Gentlemen, y'all are miracle workers (with a lot of wisdom & experience to boot)!

I ordered a service manual and it should be in Friday. Then I can learn how to get to it to fix it...

Re: Injector Wire Open Circuit Mystery

I called an indie Harley mechanic friend of mine and he explained to me how to get to the fuel injector; removing tank, etc.

I disconnected the injector wiring and stripped a section off the wire that caused stumbling and discovered one broken strand. Attached is a picture that shows the stripped wire and connectors. My multimeter registered 0 resistance between the stripped portion of the wire and the metal connector in the cap that goes on to the injector. When I tug on the wire, I can see the connector assembly in the cap move, but something apparently isn't connecting.

The stripped wire runs to the lower pin in the black cap above the grey cap in the picture. I'm getting resistance between the black cap lower pin and the stripped portion of the wire. There is no resistance from the half inch of unstripped red wire to the metal connector clip inside the injector cap.

As noted in an earlier message you can see that the little white silicone/rubber grommet in the injector cap is out by two gills. The grommet holding the white/yellow wire next to it is tightly in place.

The only thing I can guess is that the connection is bad inside the injector cap. Anybody else run into this before?

Jack Klarich mentioned in an earlier message that these may be Delphi parts. I called NAPA and talked to the manager who is a Harley owner. There are no part numbers or other identifiers on these connectors.

The manager and I both figure that Harley contracted with Delphi for a very large number of these parts and Harley required a non-disclosure clause in the contract preventing Delphi from being identified in any way as a supplier.

Question for Jack Klarich: Do you know of the existence of a part number, or how to match the unidentified part with a matching Delphi part?

Hopefully I can get just the injector connector cap from Harley, but then I'll have to splice all three wires together because a parts guy at the Harley dealer looked it up and said Harley didn't create a pigtail for these; the connector cap is tied directly into the bike wiring harness. The only way to correct an open injector circuit is to splice it closed.

Why does Harley make it so hard to fix some of these issues? :dknow

Attachments

• IMG_20130821_3064.jpg
    IMG_20130821_3064.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 32
Why does Harley make it so hard to fix some of these issues? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Is Why......

Just MY thinking here....

WHY feel you have to go thru the Harness?

Why not run the wires full length Outside the harness?
One wire connection then.

Just wondering?:dknow

signed....BUBBIE

Having isolated the particular wire I can see why considering info in other posts. The tie strap appears tight and that particular wire is coming out at almost 45 degrees. The break has to be right there at the bend...

ALSO, I have soldered the wire to be solid where broken.... That worked out just fine. Tight to do but Possible.

signed....BUBBIE

Jack???? Do you think separate full wires would work ok and soldering???

Moderator:
Can be added to above post please IF needed...

Last edited:
Question for Jack Klarich: Do you know of the existence of a part number, or how to match the unidentified part with a matching Delphi part?
I do not at this time BUT I am working on it, I have seen this connector before I just do not remember where
After more thought, I dont see why we cannot use the plugs from the Gen 3 or 4 from Dobeck

Last edited by a moderator:
ALSO, I have soldered the wire to be solid where broken.... That worked out just fine. Tight to do but Possible.

signed....BUBBIE

Jack???? Do you think separate full wires would work ok and soldering???

Moderator:
Can be added to above post please IF needed...

No reason I can see why they can not be modified, good point Bubbie:s

That looks very similar. Loaded the bike on my trailer and took it to the indie harley mechanic I talked to on the phone. He looked at the connector and said it's the one for the RevTech DFO that was installed by the previous owner. (Jack, maybe that's where you saw it before?)

He knew how to use a pick and pull the inside clip holding the pin receivers in place. I figured it could be taken apart but didn't want to butcher it in the process of figuring it out... Both red wires were broken/pulled apart by vibration just past the white grommet in the connector body. He didn't have the same type pin receiver though. Didn't charge me dime...

I'll call Global Motorsports in the morning and see if they sell just the injector caps. If not, then I'll have to try the Bosch EV1 connector.

Thanks guys! :)

Back