free website stats program Endangered Starter Brushes | Harley Davidson Forums

Endangered Starter Brushes

Hoople

Account Removed
I was reading my parts catalog for my '09 FXDL and was shocked to discover I can not buy replacement brushes for my starter. I know I can go to a local starter/alternator shop and find some that will work, but I was just surprised to see in order to buy brushes, you have to purchase an entire starter.

The brushes are part of the field windings and that part is not available separately.
Crazy but true.

I would add, sad but true.

It seems to me that they should at least give you the manufacturer and their part number. After all, it is a wear item.

In fairness, I know it costs money to maintain a parts inventory and today's mentality is replace not repair.

And to add a crazy twist to the story,,, You can purchase a New armature with New commutator all by itself..
Hummm. Who would want to install a new commutator and use old brushes?

Surprisingly enough, if there is enough of the brushes and spring assy left, approximate the measurements and try to locate the carbon blocks...funny, some old school hardware and electrical motor rewinding retailers still carry assortments, usually for appliances and small HP motors.

Back