free website stats program electrical | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical

softailman

Hi everyone.
I have a silver 02" Softail Standard with about 59.000mi. Still runs strong. I have Headlights and tailights, no brakelights, no tach, speedodometer, no odometer, no horn. What gives? Can anyone help? Thank you.
softailman.

Any recent modification? Just wash it? Ride in rain? Stock bike or did you upgrade? Carb or EFI (I'll assume carb if it's still running strong)? Did you just try to jump start it and system took a big jolt? Just trying to help the forum fill in the blanks so we can help you. Any more info would be great.

I recently had a similar problem. What I found was that the Ignition switch has 2 contacts in it. One is closed only by turning it to Acc. If you turn it to Ignition both contacts should close.
With my switch only the Acc contact was closing when I turned the switch to Ignition. This allowed the Speedometer, Odometer and Horn to work, but not the headlight or starter.
Sounds like you are having only the Ignition contact closing on yours.

I took my switch apart and found the contacts in it had a groove worn into them and a burr had formed on one. I used some sand paper to smooth out the contacts and then reassembled and tested it. Both contacts worked again and switch has worked well since.

I don't know if this is your problem, but maybe it will help.

Back