free website stats program electrical? | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical?

Riding home from work and stopped to get a soda at gas station 2 blocks away from home. Ran fine for 20 miles, but when I tried to start it at gas station it tried to start but then when went dead. headlights would not come on and the light on speedometer was flickering. Got it home and took off seat to make sure all wires were tight. Tried it again and started fine. Then this morning it is dead again. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. By the way it is a 2003 Road King carbuerated. Battery is only 2 months old

Riding home from work and stopped to get a soda at gas station 2 blocks away from home. Ran fine for 20 miles, but when I tried to start it at gas station it tried to start but then when went dead. headlights would not come on and the light on speedometer was flickering. Got it home and took off seat to make sure all wires were tight. Tried it again and started fine. Then this morning it is dead again. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. By the way it is a 2003 Road King carbuerated. Battery is only 2 months old

I had the same problem on my 2004 Fatboy, I finally with the help of some forum members,traced the problem to the Ignition switch.
The switch has plastic teeth inside, that wear out. I would take the console off, then remove the switch, which is 4 screws, then on the back side, use pliars to remove the split ring, then you can take it apart and clean the contacts.
this worked for me, and i eventually replaced the switch which was $ 110.
you can check my other post, where i posted p[ics of the switch

Start with the basics. Remove, wire brush clean, then reinstall both mating surfaces of both ends of both battery cables, disconnecting the negative first, and reconnect last.

Also check that your main is the 50 amp and not still the 40.

TQ

Also check (especially if you have been doing stuff under the console) that the connecter going to the key switch hasn't come loose.

went out today and took all connectors apart and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. Wire brushed all the lugs and when put back together it worked fine for about 5 starts. What I call a relay was buzzing that is located right behind the battery I pulled it out. My question is there a way to test it without running out and buying a new one right off the bat. It is black and yellow and has 5 prongs that plug into a plug. there is a little wiring diagram on the top of it and some numbers m923006 any help is greatly appreciated

went out today and took all connectors apart and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. Wire brushed all the lugs and when put back together it worked fine for about 5 starts. What I call a relay was buzzing that is located right behind the battery I pulled it out. My question is there a way to test it without running out and buying a new one right off the bat. It is black and yellow and has 5 prongs that plug into a plug. there is a little wiring diagram on the top of it and some numbers m923006 any help is greatly appreciated

'03 relay? Just replace it. Head over to the auto parts place carrying that with you and get another exactly like it (schematic and spec wise).

TQ

did you check to see if the bike is giving any codes?

A "free standing" 5 pin relay all by itself? I have a 2002 FL manual (realize yours is 2003) but don't see any Free standing relays. There is a block that has a relay AND 2 fuses, but no relay by itself.

I take it you don't have the schematics for your bike.

Back