free website stats program ECM, any luck | Harley Davidson Forums

ECM, any luck

bsnolt

Has anyone had any luck with remapping the ECM to help with fuel mileage? My 03 Eletraglide Classic has never gotten anything over 40 MPG. I had 203(?) cams installed new but never changed the jugs. Mechanic told me the cams worked better with the bigger jugs. Bike runs fine and never any real problems with it just would like better mileage.

My box stock 2008 EG with conservative riding is only averaging 45MPG.
Not saying that there is not away to increase your mileage, but the money spent to obtain a additional mile or three would not be worth it for me.....

Has anyone had any luck with remapping the ECM to help with fuel mileage? My 03 Eletraglide Classic has never gotten anything over 40 MPG. I had 203(?) cams installed new but never changed the jugs. Mechanic told me the cams worked better with the bigger jugs. Bike runs fine and never any real problems with it just would like better mileage.

03 EGC @ 40 mpg ----- Other than cam exchange do you have any other mods????

My 03 Eletraglide Classic

Your engine is fuel injected but pre O2 sensors correct. If so, I would say 40 MPG is good for not having any O2 feedback. When you changed out the cams, I would think you made also changes to both the spark advance and fuel maps (?).

If you are getting anywhere approaching 40mpg on your '03 bagger, you are doing very well from a fuel economy standpoint. But fuel economy targets are very hard to compare unless they are under laboratory conditions. There is so much impact on fuel economy related to the right hand that unless this variable is done in a controlled environment, one rider's fuel econ. numbers and anothers are almost impossible to compare. Additionally, the amount of time spent idling at red lights completely invalidates fuel econ. numbers. If I spend 15% of my time sitting at red lights, and someone else is spending 5%, the difference in fuel econ. numbers will not be just 10%, because the most fuel is spent overcoming inertia. Getting the bike up to a rolling speed uses the bulk of the fuel and reduces the mpg significantly.

AND, maybe fuel economy comparisons are not in the best interest of YOUR engine. If you track your own mileage, compare month to month and can explain the variations because you know how you have been riding and what is different, then you can potentially spot problems as they develop. But looking for higher fuel economy numbers can lead people to make unsound decisions with respect to fuel-to-air ratios and running their engines too lean. Remember running too lean is the problem we are trying to get AWAY from, not promote.

TQ

What TQ said. A richer cooler running bike is much better than 4-5 more mpg by a long shot. If its running good, I say keep riding it. My RK only gets 34 around town and better out on the road. She runs cool and good. Good enough for me.

Keeping mind what HD says your bike will get for MPG is based on EPA standards, just like the Auto Industry these numbers are manipulated under ideal conditions and a small number of each model has to post numbers like this to be certified, If you are getting 40 mpg with a bagger that aint to shabby, in fact that may still be a bit lean, more fuel = cooler running and likely more power, your ride you decide JMO

I have a stock 11 street Gluide did a stage 1 down load. Never got over 41 mpg.changing cams are good but to do better you must take out cats, put on a new pipe abd do a tunner change

I have 08 egc, stage one, can you remap the ecm, or check to see if it is running to lean or rich, without putting it on a dyno? I got 34000 or so on it and I would rather not put it on the dyno.

I have 08 egc, stage one, can you remap the ecm, or check to see if it is running to lean or rich, without putting it on a dyno? I got 34000 or so on it and I would rather not put it on the dyno.

The dealer can remap with H D software that will still be TOO lean, better off with a TFI :s

Back